Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Test Drive

Fingers

Imola
Had my first test drive in the 997 Carrera S. Personally, I really liked it. The feel of the car is excellent, the interior, the driving position, the engine sound were all awesome! The handling is great in comparison to the 996, especially in sports mode! I did a few clicks in it and couldn't help but fall in love with the thing! I promised myself I would wait for at least 1 year to buy it - bought a 996 less than a year ago - but even my wife said 'we have to buy it'! A car mad wife is one of the greatest blessings a man can have : )

I am sure everyone has read a few reviews already, but for what its worth - its a whole lot better than what I thought it would be! I read the a few reviews as well but that was still surprised after getting into it myself today! My OPC are lending me one on Wednesday - can't wait!!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18811

I really like the look of the 997 S, especially from the rear . What transmission did you test drive and how was the drive itself? Are the quad tail pipes an extra? The only thing i don't like is the wheel design .Can they be changed ? I think the larger Carrera wheels will look great on the 997.FWIW, i think the slight 993 look around the headlights really works.Porsche have a great line up of cars at the mo, Cayenne notwithstanding :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18819

I drove a Tiptronic- 90% of Porsche sales in Japan are for Tips apparently - I complained but was told manual test cars will be available by November : )

The drive was great, very very inspiring, held the road like it was glued down, the front didn't bounce up and down like my 2003 C2, felt it was quite different from the 996. I only got to do about 20 - 25 K but got around plently of nice sweeping corners had the chance to do som 0 - 100 MPH pull aways : ) The steering wheel felt good, very direct and responsive, plenty of feedback. With the sports mode there were a couple of times when the road was a bit rough and the car really shook - but I guess it would probably have been the same in the 996 - dodgy road more than likely : )

I actually hated the wheel design until I saw them in the flesh - honestly, they looked really nice! I have the catalogue (200 pages of info) it shows 2 other alloys available at the moment, 19 inch classic Carrera (exactly like the Carrera wheels you see on new Porsches) 19 GT3 style wheels. BUT the exciting thing is Porsche will be offering a new 20 inch wheel for the first time as well! It will probably come out early next year. Probably in time with the C4 or the carriolets.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18824

Tony, forgot to answer your question - the quad pipes are standard on the Carrera S

Also, silly point but my wife said it was VERY important, the back seats are much much more comfortable, whenever I have one of me mates come from overseas, she always has to sit in the back - she's a petite Japanese girl so not too bad but with the new seats, more padding, slightly wider and not flat ( the front of the seat is raised) it makes sitting in the back much more comfortable.

Also, sorry to go on : ) SHE personally liked the increase in the sound for the indicators, I don't mind the quiet click click of the 996 myself.

Since I got to drive late afternoon / early evening and had to turn on the Xenon's which incidentally seemed to be brighter , I found I didn't like was the the dash when it was lit up, the dials didn't stand out enough for me.

SHE (the wife) liked the fact the steering wheel is a lot more adjustable as well. I am sure I will get to learn more about it on wednesday - on our cool Japanese mobile phones we videod the test drive - or least some it - no idea how to show it to anyone.....sorry

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18825

Thanks for the feedback. The only thing that puzzles me is why you are excited about 20" wheels?

As a rule, larger wheels means more rotating weight, which actually negatively impacts acceleration and braking.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18828

By the way, where are you Graham? Somewhere in Asia? Its 1.00pm in Tokyo - you are either up really late or really in the UK : )

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18831

Sweden? Cool - 6.30am wow! A bit early! Many Porsches in Sweden? By the way, is your car a lefty or RHD?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18833

Servo,

thanks for the info. Tiptronic has obviously come a long way since i had mine on '94 993 coupe. I hated it as the engine almost always selected the wrong gear for the driving condition . I swapped out back to a manual. I agree with the comment about 20 " wheels too. Bigger wheels normally always = a harsher ride. But they do look cool ! What colour spec will you go for?

Rgds

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18834

Tony,

Not sure if the colours in Europe will be different to Japan but I am either going for Atlas Grey with Terracotta leather / Natural Brown but knowing me I will change my mind again and again until I get to the dealership. I sat in a 997 with the cocoa - looks very sexy as well. The wife who is car mad as well likes savannah beige / terracotta.

What are you driving now? Are you planning on test driving the 997?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18838

By the way, the 997 revs all the way to the red line even with the Tiptronic unlike the 996 which is limited at around 5000 ish.

Also the switchgear is a lot more secure - the indicators, lights switch etc etc. Some of it seems to be a bit fragile feeling though

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18839

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Servo Sarai on 03 October 2004

Tony,

Not sure if the colours in Europe will be different to Japan but I am either going for Atlas Grey with Terracotta leather / Natural Brown but knowing me I will change my mind again and again until I get to the dealership. I sat in a 997 with the cocoa - looks very sexy as well. The wife who is car mad as well likes savannah beige / terracotta.

What are you driving now? Are you planning on test driving the 997?

Servo

i have a 355 Spider at the mo, owned for last 4 yrs. I might ask my OPC, AFN, for a go on 997 as i know the sales manager well. However, my heart's set on a 360CS in a couple of years 8)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18843

Cool - nice car - always wanted one! Still want one!!! Here in Japan parking is a rip off - I pay about GBP 400.00 per month X that by 2 is a bit steep so just one Porsche is it for me.

Incidentally, I got a chance to sit in a 360CS a while ago - AWESOME sound. Serious dollars but a lot cheaper here than in the UK I guess. Let me know if you want one! I have shipped a few cars for people in the UK before : ) Might be sending a 360 F1 1999 over some time soon.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18844

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Servo Sarai on 03 October 2004

Cool - nice car - always wanted one! Still want one!!! Here in Japan parking is a rip off - I pay about GBP 400.00 per month X that by 2 is a bit steep so just one Porsche is it for me.

Incidentally, I got a chance to sit in a 360CS a while ago - AWESOME sound. Serious dollars but a lot cheaper here than in the UK I guess. Let me know if you want one! I have shipped a few cars for people in the UK before : ) Might be sending a 360 F1 1999 over some time soon.
Thanks for the offer.If my numbers come up on Lottery i'll be in touch ! I thought cars were more expensive in the Far East than Europe? My brother is in Singapore and says car prices there are crazy....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18845

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back