Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C4S or Turbo??

T0K

Hi Guys,

firstly an excellent forum, been trawling through some very good info...

so here is the dilema (well not really a dilema)

I have been thinking very hard of getting a porsche, but due to company allowances it has to be a newish one or else I would be in a 993 already :) So I have seen a C4S 03 for 62k (fully loaded) and a 02 Turbo again fully loaded for 68k. I know most people are going to say the Turbo, but not knowing too much about Porsches really just wanted some advice/opinions and also is that high prices? both are 1 owner with around 7-9k miles and both with PCM, both Lapis Blue, one with savanah trim and the other with natural leather trim....

or...

is this the wrong time to buy both with the 997 out?? problem is once I get something in my head, I always want it straight away (not the most logical mindset) but hey....

any advice greatly appreciated

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18599

Check your private message box!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18602

T0K... My main advice is to drive all of them properly before you make your final decision! But personally...

C4S - I think it is beautiful, but I wouldn't touch it because of possible engine problems (that may or may not be covered under Warranty), and price tag (too close to Turbo price).

997 - Seems even better, but all supercars have problems in their first year of production so I would wait, and the C2/C2S are "base" models, there's better ones to come (GT/Turbo etc)!

Turbo - my all time favourite (drive one and you'll see why), prices are starting to look good, and it has a thorough race-bred engine (unlike C4S/997(S) that have wet sump block).

If I could wait 12 months or so I'd see how the 997 is doing, if I had to buy now I'd pick a Turbo hands-down... Good luck!

Oh, I nearly forgot - I assume those cars are from an Official Porsche Dealer? That's where I'd go when spending that sort of cash....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18604

Hey guys thanks very much for the advice. The one I saw was at Tom Hartleys

http://www.tomhartley.com

2nd page, 996 Turbo, Blue with Natural Leather £68,950. I have heard from a few people that this dealer is very good, however would you still go main dealer route on this??

Now its a matter of selling mine, dont guess anyone would be interested in a 02 M3 Convertable :)

Thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18606

I would stick to an OPC or really Indy for that sort of dough, what about a GT3, I reckon that GT3 prices will stick better than most 996's, failing that I would definately go for the Turbo.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18611

just looked at Mr Hartley's site, No fly fishing?

He's got a Mk2 Black GT3 yeah baby my ultimate car, thats what you should get or the Arctic Silver Turbo

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18612

Thanks poon, I would love a GT3 but only problem is I need a 4 seater, and I know the rear seats are pointless but I need to show on paper its a 4 seater or else my work people (finance) wont appreciate it and so wont give any monthly allowance...we have a policy that no 2 seaters are allowed !! and before people shoot me down for the combination the whole blue or black exterior with the full savanah or natural interior really is the combo for me..I think it just looks the dogs on a porsche :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18617

T0K, I think your colour choices are perfect! Love the GT3, but I'd feel safer in a Turbo with the 4WD etc...

I think Tom Hartley is very well respected in the business, but would still personally go to an Official Porsche Centre for such a purchase in the first instance - you get their "Warranty" and if something goes wrong with the car then they can't use the common excuse "well you should have bought it from us Sir"!

Have you tried placing the M3 on BM3W's trading post forum - the //M enthusiast site:
http://www.bm3w.co.uk/

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18622

Thats great, thanks, I think youre right, Im better off holding off and finding the spec I want from a OPC. I also spoke to a leasing company who said he had 1 slot available for a 997 C2 (not the S) for a December delievery, and said I could keep that for a year and sell it on without losing much on it, but its only the C2... would that be worth it??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18632

Hmm... I think the other guys need to help out here, as I haven't driven a 997 C2 so can only comment on its looks/spec, which seem much better on the "S" model than the C2, which IMHO looks quite bland in comparison! And I also heard from somewhere that Porsche are expecting the "S" model to outsell the standard C2 quite significantly, as it is the model that most people would prefer - so longer term you could end up losing more on a C2 than on a C2S...

As a serious buyer I'm sure your local Porsche dealer would be happy to arrange a back-to-back test drive of all the models you are considering - don't put any money down until you've driven them and decided on the one that really tickles your fancy!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18638

Well went and test drove a 996 Turbo and a 997C2S and an M3 CSL. The CSL is truley an awesome car, and thats coming from a current M3 and wanting to get away from BMW for a while!! :)

First drove the 997C2S and I have to say I was very impressed, please bear in mind this was the first time driving a Porsche since having a Boxster S a few years ago before shooting me down, the dashboard seemed to really have very classic lines, a clean look and more spacious to me than the 996. Loved the manual box, the sound, torque and was impressed by the handling, was expecting less from the 2 wheel drive (mainly from scare stories I guess) but had clear open roads and really gave it some. so as a 911 virgin I really liked it. Just a real shame the rear seats are so impractical, which means to cart around parents/sisters etc I will have to get a cheap cheap cheap runaround

The Turbo, was a let down only because they just had a Tiptronic, I really found that a sin, but the overall drive was just so engaging, the road holding, the feel of the car around the country lanes, the sound..actually everything about it was pleasure apart from not having the ability to physically go through the gears (I much prefered the pick up on my SMG box compared to the tiptronic here), having said that I didnt really get the chance to open her up too much due to traffic..so as I felt cheated I went and found one to drive this morning. OH MY GOD!!!! what a car!! OH MY GOD, I was smiling from corner to corner driving that, infact I am still smiling...

A 911 Turbo being every kids dream car growing up I really cant believe I am trying to blag a way into getting one :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18803

TDK, I would go for the Turbo or the 997C2S - personally, I would prefer the Turbo with 2 Wheel drive - the old days of Porsches loosing there back end have gone. Believe you have to push them HARD. Having said that I have had the back end of a C4S out plenty of times.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18841

Be careful of Tom Hartley!!

I agreed to sell my 996 with 900 miles on the clock to an OPC, Then T.H. came along and offered me substantially more. I fell for this and drove the car 120miles to Birmingham to meet Tom. He went back on his word and I ended up selling the car to him for less than the OPC dealer offered.

My fault but you learn from your mistakes.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18938

Hi Thanks for the heads up, I guess knowing that would you not buy a car off them or just be carefull?

I asked him to knock money off that one without their year RAC warranty and spoke to OPC who said I can buy their new warranty which is now carried out and supported by themselves and not a 3rd party. Said it will be the same warranty they would give on a approved used car they would sell.

That is the only one I can find in the spec I am looking for so far (private there are a few but I need to get it trade for balloon payment etc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18948

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back