Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

odd steering noise

Hendo

Suzuka
Out with Mrs Hendo at the weekend enjoying a spot of flies in the teeth motoring on the backstreets of Kent when I noticed an odd sound. A sort of reedy whistling sound when turning the steering wheel to the right only?????!!!. Anyone encountered this before? She'll be due her check up and MOT in the next few weeks so I'll definitely have it checked out then. Could it be more serious and require a check up before? The steering itself seems unaffected

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17219

Does the sound happen only on full lock? as I used to get a similar noise when my power steering fluid was low, it turned out a had a small leek in the steering column which eventually had to be replaced... Ouch.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17226

Hi Andy

No its not just on full lock, but halfway into the turn. I think I'll pop her round to the doctors at the weekend and let them hav a look

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17258

my steering rack seals have just gone, fluid everywhere, mechanical sound on half to full lock as fluid was low/empty.

JZ reckon new rack plus fitting @ £800ish - ouch!

Booked in for 12th August.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17277

Poon

Was the sound evident turning only in one direction or both?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17294

both, the noise was the pump being starved of fluid and groaning under the strain. This led me to believe that I had a leak, and sure enough the rack was p!ssing fluid.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17296

Chaps,

Same as mine, but because Iknew I had a leak, I kept the fluid topped up and only used to get the noise on full lock when it started to get low.

I paid £700 for an exchange rack from the factory (not many available in the UK as i am LHD) and got the labour covered under warranty

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17307

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back