Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 big end !! ££££££££££!!

chris

Silverstone
Help ----off i went to goodwood on friday only to relish my 993 roaring away --windows open for max effect but the noise i got was a drrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! when revving around 4000rpm holding the gear and feathering the noise pedal!!! oh my noooooooooooo!!!!

just got back from seeing my porsche man who confirmed my fears!......i thought so i said ...ends!!!!! cant be he said...... until he drove it and confirmed i was right !!

£4000 or so to fix it he said depending on what he finds when its all over the workshop floor in bits- ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

the cars done 101,000 miles ---anyone else had probs around this mileage??

D I V O R C E ! on the cards me finks??

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16314

I did lots of research into this when I was rebuilding my engine over the winter and the general opinion is that bottom ends are usually rock solid. You've got to be very unlucky, and it's probably been caused by abuse in the past (poor/low oil, irregular oil changes etc). When I spoke to the engine man at Strasse he'd only ever seen a handful of bottom end problems on late models (80's onwards), and it wasn't specifically mileage related.

It'll be the labour which stings you. Hope it's not too wallet damaging...

Nathan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16339

Hi Chris

Sorry to hear about your car, I had the same problem on my 84 3.2 120000 miles, no oil leaks good oil pressure then that noise came along. Went to see my engine man, he diagnosed big ends. In his thirty years experience working on these cars mine was the second failure he had come across. He stripped the engine down and put the cause down to lack of maintenance in the past.

I got my car back just after xmas and parted company with just under £5000, complete engine rebuild new clutch/flywheel and gearbox overhaul.

The car has now done 2000 miles just returned from Le Mans and it,s brilliant.

If you live around the Kent/ South East London area I can recommend the guy who carried out the work.

Good luck.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16429

thanks Nathan and oily!

well at least im not the only one to have the wallet busting experience eh!

i actually dropped the car off this morning to GCS where Jez will strip it today to find out exactly how bad it all is and hopefully some pointers on why it all went wrong.

as you say oily it is prob due to prob in the past but i have done 7k in it since i bought it with no problems .

ill keep updated on its progress!

divorce is going well though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16435

latest is....................

engine out today and its picked up on big end no3 and slightly marked others a tad,

looks as if its been starved of or low on oil at some time/!!

exhaust valve guides a bit out of tolerance

pistons n barrels look ok but will be mic'd up to check.

so a crank re grind is on the cards obviously.....and a bit more!

...alll looks in better condition than expected tho!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16480

Chris

Snap mine was no3 as well same reason oil!, had new rings but did not require a crankshaft regrind.

Any idea how long the work will take?

Keep us informed

oily

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16506

latest is we are waiting for small end bushes porsche wanted a month to get some and another source is taking ages!!

quick i want it back summers here at last!

new oil pump is going in as a precaution too!

££££££ !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17127

well just an update .............

asked GCS to look at the gearbox while it was on the workshop floor ......turns out the juddering i had in reverse was the reason for swarf in the box ---need sstripping and a new torque converter too ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

maybe ready next week ---engine is nearly rebuilt now.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 17575

well this week maybe tomorrow i get her back with a recon gearbox too!

if u listen carefully you will hear me groan as i write out the cheque

i have been wiithout her for 3 months now! as prob gettin small end bushes and a gasket for the gearbox internals ...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

cant WAIT!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 18543

Bill = £6000.00 all but three quid!

running in please pass!!

couldnt remember how to drive it when i drove it home! (whats that button do ahhh yes i remember)

nice to have it back though £££££££££££!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19414

ouch....

good to hear it back... hope all is wel from now..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 19417

yup............... 2000 miles later and a trip to nurburgring just to run it in all is well thanks!!!!

cant ever sell it now ill never get my money back!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 21285

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back