Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What To Buy........?Moving from RS4

Iainm

Guys,

Have just got out of 460bhp RS4.....VV quick, but uninvolving; want more of a drivers car rather than a rocketship in a straight line.

Decided on a porker 996 but not too sure what to go for in terms of

Manual or Tiptronic? C2 or C4? Budget is around 50k. Would prefer the 3.6 version. Targa or fixed head? Aerokit or no aerokit? Colour? I like Cobalt Blue, Lapis Blue and Black?

Looking down the line in terms of resale value, what should I go for and what should I be looking for on the options fitted? All advice greatfully received. I spoke with Porsche dealer who typically informed me there is no bad 996 all variants, colours sell well etc etc :p

Thnx

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16054

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Iainm on 20 June 2004

Guys,

Have just got out of 460bhp RS4.....VV quick, but uninvolving; want more of a drivers car rather than a rocketship in a straight line.

Decided on a porker 996 but not too sure what to go for in terms of

Manual or Tiptronic? C2 or C4? Budget is around 50k. Would prefer the 3.6 version. Targa or fixed head? Aerokit or no aerokit? Colour? I like Cobalt Blue, Lapis Blue and Black?

Looking down the line in terms of resale value, what should I go for and what should I be looking for on the options fitted? All advice greatfully received. I spoke with Porsche dealer who typically informed me there is no bad 996 all variants, colours sell well etc etc :p

Thnx
If you want involvement I would go with a 993 turbo(previous model, 408hp, decent ones cost £45-£50k) or a LHD mk1 996 GT3(360hp, quite hardcore, just under £50k for a good LHD one), the latter especially if you plan on doing trackdays. All of your preferred colours sell well but I don't think any mk1 GT3s were produced in cobalt, and I've never seen a cobalt 993 turbo. Ocean blue is quite common on them though and is similar to lapis. Many GT3s are lapis blue/black so you should have no trouble finding one of them in those colours.

Hope that helps.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16057

The short answer is to wait until the 997 comes out and pushes down the price of 996's. Then go for a "facelift" model. Choice of manual vs tip, targa etc is all personal preference. All are good. Regarding colour, anything dark or silver will be easy to resell later. Avoid the yellows, whites, reds etc.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16071

Thanx for the advice guys;

I cant wait for a 997 as I am now car less, bar the wifes Toe-Rag.

I like the styling of the 993, but hate the switchgear inside. A friend has a 94 C2 and it looks like it was designed inside by the people at the Early Learning Centre, stereo for the passenger etc etc

Dont fancy a LHD car, though do fancy a RHD GT3, just missing my lottery nos; I could sell the wife?? :D
me thinks, though, it still wouldnt be enough! too high mileage, not enough spec (wife)

Want / Need 996!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16079

If I had to buy a 996, then I would go for one owner, private sale, 996 C4S.I think they will hold their price quite well because it is a great looking car. Dealer prices are 60k+. Private sales start at 50k. Somewhere inbetween should get you a good example.

I have gone for a 993 because I can't afford the depreciation on the 996. I think the early basic examples of the 996 (especially LHD and imports) are going to drop hard and fast in the next 12 months. I think it would be worth while taking a look at good examples of either 993 targa or 993 4S

Good luck

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16348

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back