Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Mystery switch

Harry

Can someone help please.

I have just purchased a 964 C4 coupe, which is looking and running great. However, there is a switch with a small red LED next to it on the side on the center console in the drivers footwell.

Ive tried turning it on and off, but it doesnt appear to do anything and the light does not come on. There is no mention of it in the manual.

Any ideas?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15980

Is the car an import? - if it is a jap import they dont have rear fogs and sometimes a switch is fitted to run the rear fogs - long shot i know!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15987

In my 993 the LED comes on when one of the warning lights on the dash illuminates. It tends to be the fuel low warning light. If the light comes on and you hit the switch,it turns the warning light off on the dash.

So i think it can be described as a warning light override button.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15990

Thanks for the responses.

I also thought it could be an after market alarm, but it looks too neat to be added after. But perhaps they just did a good job!

It still has the orignal porsche alarm/imoboliser which is the one I use. Perhaps someone was being extra cautious!

I will try and start the car with the switch on next time I take it out.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16052

Do you have a photo of it you can post here ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16094

Harry

Note that you have a coupe, but I read somewhere that a switch in this area was fitted to a cabs to allow you to set the alarm, but turn off the ultra sonics if you left the roof open. If you have a sunroof perhaps it was fitted to yours as an addition. Just a suggestion.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16113

Hello Mr.T, hope you are well !

Le Mans was superb.

Once again a fountain of knowledge even if the switch is not for the ultrasonics in this case.

C U AT THE BBQ

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16118

Ive just had another play with the switch and it is definetley related to the alarm. Im not sure if it is the ultra sonics. But I think Michael was on the right track with the suggestion about the sunroof/cabs.

I turned on the swith opened the sunroof and armed the alarm, I leant through the sunroof and waved my arms a bit. Nothing happened but when I tried unlocking the doors from inside the alarm went off.

I repeated this with the switch off, and the doors unlocked without the alarm being activated.

Thanks for the help!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16268

I had a look at mine at the weekend and i have the same switch!! - i thought it was just a blanking plate!

If i turn the switch on it basically overrides the total closure feature of the alrm on mine (A PA100). I can now lock the car with the roof down - quite handy if you are filling up or something - its a pain having to come out and drop teh hood and windows etc... if you are only nipping away for 5 mins!

I would guess that it also disables the ultrasonics as you cant use ultrasonic sensors with the hood down!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16612

Whilst on the topic of 'total closure', does anyone's total closure closed BOTH the windows and hood ? Mine does only the hood, a pain if you have also had the windows open. Is this a sloppy alarm install or a limitation of the car itself ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16613

Yep - mine does both - the alarm system is a PA100 - it has a remote with a single large button in the middle - not the 2 button remote from the pa1000 systems and it does do the roof and windows - drivers window first then passenger side.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16643

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back