Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Creaky Clutch

warren mcbride

Spa-Francorchamps
Anyone experienced a creaky clutch on a 993 C2 ? I've just noticed mine yesterday - when you depress or release the clutch it creaks !! The noise is coming from under the car towards the back. Any ideas as to what it could be ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15685

My C2S does the same and the previous Owner said that when serviced he just had it lubed and it cured the problem. I had some work done by JZ on the front end and asked them about this (as it creaks now) they advised it is not a problem and some lube usually sorts it out but it also tends to happen towards the end of clutch life. My clutch is heavy and will be replaced later this month after Le Mans trip.

Hopefully then it won't creak.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15697

Its probably the clutch slave cylinder that you are hearing and as WillD says it is not really a problem i.e. failure is not imminent

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15701

Yep Vic that was it...... when I have the new clutch fitted will an new clutch slave cylinder be fitted or will I have to request a new one. I don't really want that creaking anymore. Maybe I should just have the old one lubed again !!!!

Will

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15702

All,

I had my clutch replaced on 993c2 (the clutch creaked from the day I bought the car) and the creaking was still there after the job. So I think you might need lube.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15706

My creaking clutch at 26000 miles was the release bearing and was accompanied by heavier clutch action. Clutch was silent when cold and easier to operate until normal engine temps reached.

Cured completely by bearing and clutch replacement.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15724

Hi WillD

You would have to ask for a new slave cylinder, but chances are bleeding the system & lubing will be enough to sort it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15742

Doesnt seem to be a problem but I can hear creeking when pressing and releasing also. Clutch is new too! w/ 2000 mi max(could be less)...hmmmm

*Gears are a little hard to get into sometimes especially 2nd. Could this just mean clutch is not broken in yet??? I have noticed the shifter has been welded near the bottom like its been broken off before...I was aware of this when car was bought told wasnt a problem by mechanic. How does that happen??? haha.

84 Carrera

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16046

just get an RS clutch and LWF :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16049

84carrera - Have a look at the tecnical pages at the pelicanparts.com website. The 915 gearbox is sensitive to linkage setup and worn bushes and slight mis-alignment could well be causing the problem with 2nd gear. See:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_shifting_improvements/911_shifting_improvements.htm

The creaking clutch could be the helper spring which can seize up. Have a look at:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_clutch_cable/911_clutch_cable.htm

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16067

Had what appeared to be exactly the same symptoms on my 1997 993 C4 and was diagnosed by Autostrasse as the clutch release bearing. They installed a new clutch kit and it has transformed the car, the clutch is so light, no longer gets stiff when the car gets hot and doesn't make horrible creaky noises.

By the way, the work was covered by the third party warranty, thought I might end up paying for some of it but they covered everything, which is amazing considering clutches are considered fair wear and tear. That said Autostrasse did an excellent job and if I had had to pay for it would have come out at around £750 (inc VAT and parts) which I think is pretty good value considering genuine Porsche parts were used.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16137

There is lots of discussion on this topic on Rennlist on the 993 forum...

Mostly centred around clutch slave cylinders and the needle roller bearing clutch release bearing. In my case it was the needle roller bearing which gave sqeaks and increased pedal effort.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16140

Hopefully will get my 993 back from JZ tomorrow after 12 month service and new clutch. Had the creaking and mentioned it to them, all the above were given as possible reasons.

Will have to see..... will let you know.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 16150

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ansonslchang
Back