Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Clunk on take up

Matt Buckland

Trainee
Hi all

Ever since i had the front diff and drive shaft replaced on my 993 (after my tow company friends had some fun with it) i can feel a small "take up" in the drive train through the seat - if you get my meaning. Its particularly notcable in first, unsurprisingly as its from stationary. Anybody else had this? i hope its not some play in the drive shafts to the wheels. Any clues?

Cheers and good weekend

Matt

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15010

Matt,

I had the same problem with my 996 C2, until the clutch replacement revealed a broken dual mass flywheel. The amount of free play in the centre of the flywheel allowed about 65mm free rotation in the tyres, and that certainly clunked, especially driving away in 1st. gear!

Strange to say, the local OPC denied any liability and I was unable to claim under the Porsche Approved Warranty. When my local Porsche dealer then suggested an independent mechanical report, PGB used that to suggest that the act of heating a flywheel to 100 degrees C (like boiling water) was possibly sufficient to have damaged the item. Never mind the fact that they spin at up to 7K and are connected to oily bits heated sometimes to 4-600 degrees C. Load of cojones.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 15012

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back