Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

sc wont start

Hi all,

for the past month when i turn on the ignition sometimes there is nothing there, all the lights show up but nothing else. Turning the key a couple of times normally is enough to get conection and the engine starts first time. Then a couple of days ago i drove the car out on to my drive and stripped the carpets out to clean, when i put them back in and started the car all i got was a loud clicking noise or ticking. Battery is fine so could it be the starter motor? Not long had the car 6months and not even sure where the stater motor is on the sc. Any help much apprieciated.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13998

Hi Michael

I had similar on my old SC, but it was a flat battery. Lights came up on the dash giving the illusion of power but clicking sound only instead of starter motor turning over. I also had situation where it started ok but unbeknown to me it was the last drop of power left in the battery. I drove 300 yards to a garage to fill up with petrol, turned the engine off, filled up, then could'nt start it again. Got a jump start to get me going again, and with a 20 odd mile journey ahead, assumed correctly that the alternator would re-charge me. The only problem was that such an initial low battery, set off the alarm/hazards and I drove the whole 20 miles, at midnight, with the alarm going off and blinkers flashing. Things like accidentally leaving your indicator on when you turn off the engine (becomes a parking light) are guaranteed battery Kn8ckerers. Took me a while to teach myself that final check

:oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14000

As Hendo says definitely sounds like the battery is knackered - they don't tend to last more than three or four years. Make sure you replace it with something decent like a Bosch (no pun intended). The clicking sound you hear is the starter solenoid triggering but not having enough juice to spin the starter motor. This seems to be peculiar to 911s, ie the motor doesn't spin slowly like any other car with a dying battery.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14001

Thanks guys,

keeping my fingers crossed that it is the battery,my wife has gone shopping so i have sent her a text to get me one on the way back! will let u know the result in a few hours.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14002

Could also be a dodgy earth - check your earth strap is ok and cleanly connected.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14003

Do you know what guys, there is a god!! Put the new battery on and it starts fine everytime. With seeing lights on the dash and even turning the main lights on i never thought about the battery. Just goes to show how much power it takes to turn that starter moter. Cheers everyone from a big grinning sc owner.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14006

Glad to be of assistance. Go burn some rubber!

BTW - make sure you use a petroleum jelly on the battery terminals (vaseline or similar) to stop corrosion and ensure a decent connection

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14007

goos stuff michael

glad it was a simple outcome

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14019

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back