Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is the 02 996 that much better than 01?

deputydog95

My wife and I are getting rid of the boxster this week. We are going to buy a used 996 cab. A friend that sells them highly recommends the 02 model over the 01 based on the larger displacement. However, we could save a bunch of money and get an 01 or even a 00 model. They look pretty much the same to me. I've looked at the perf. specs on both and the 0-60 and 1/4 mile appear to be about the same. I can get a 2000 cab loaded with 9K miles for 55K US dollars vs about 65K US for the equivalent 02. Is it worth the extra $10K?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13615

It's alot to pay for a glove box

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13638

Can't speak from experience, but the facelift is supposedly a better car with the following features:
larger displacement 3600 (320 bhp)
revised exhaust to tune in a more "air-cooled" sound
revised "teardrop" headlamps to distinguish it from Boxster
turbo front PU adopted giving a more agreessive appearance and better brake cooling
I'm sure there are a whole host of other changes I've left out. Where the facelift will score highly is in the resale. It is supposedly more stable at speed but I'm sure you aren't going to notice at 55mph max. Whether its worth the extra dosh only you can decide - drive them both and see which one floats your boat so to speak.
Must admit I'm gutted you can pick them up for that price - that's super cheap at current exchange rate.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13639

oh yeah - I forgot the glove box and cup holders...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13640

so the 2000 models have no glovebox or cupholders?

what's a turbo front PU?

i'm not going to have an opportunity to drive them both, as they will probalby be shipped in from other states. i can't seem to find one locally in yellow.

has anyone driven them back to back? is it really noticeable? thier performance numbers don't seem all that different.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13656

The 2002 Cab also has a glass rear screen, and I think you can open and shut the roof on the move up to 50mph. In the longer term I doubt that residuals will be much different. Also they are bound tobe affected by the announcement of the 997 later this year.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13703

The 2002+ has the following differences

It has a glass screen, you can open or close the hood at up to 30mph,. The drivers window is the only one touch window now (European law or something like that). When you raise the hood the windows stay down and you must get back in the car, turn on the ignition and hit the buttons (again European Law!)

Generally they will have PCM2 units which are a lot better than PCM1

Other than that, pretty much the same really.

Mogsyman

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13704

The facelift also has an amended front spoiler to improve aerodynamics and down force (similar teaks to the rear bumper "spoiler") ...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13708

what about actually driving them? i have one person telling me that it's night and day between engine performance and i have another person that tells me that thier pretty similar.

have any of you guys driven both?

i found a 2000 with a ton of great options in speed yellow for about 55K us dollars. it's only got 9K miles. an 02 with minimal options will cost me at least 62-65K us dollars. do you guys think it's worth the extra 7-10K dollars for the 02?

i wish there was a way i could drive them back to back, but it's just not possible.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13710

If you can afford the 10k hit then buy the newer one.

I'd go for the 02 and I have an 01

...and spare a thought for us as we have to pay the equivalent rates but £62k instead of $62k

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13783

i'm sold on the 02 now. thanks for input. you guys are getting hammered on the prices over there. wonder why that is? you're closer to the builder for cryin out loud :) we're going to give a deposit to a porsche locator today to find us an 02 speed yellow cab. can't wait.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13787

plus you will get the benefit of the added warranty of 4 years from new as aposed to 2 years in the uk!!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13794

man it sucks to own a porsche in the UK. you pay too much for them and then they hose you on the warranty!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13795

Deputydog95,

I'm looking to buy a 996 cabrio from the US and bring to the UK, as an example could you let me know how I can find a Porsche locator as you mentioned above?

Regards

Dan

Migration info. Legacy thread was 14032

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back