Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C4S

martynb

Monza
Just as I've finally made my mind up to go with the 996 I saw a couple of throw away comments in here about the pre 2000 engines being trouble?

Anyone care to expand on that a little please as I would like to know what I am letting myself in for, especially if is avoidable for the sake of a few quid to move up a year.

One other thing, what is it about porsche dealers which makes them shy of showing mileage by a vehicle?

Great forum btw

Thanks

Martyn

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13032

its worth getting the facelift model for extra power, and a glovebox apparently.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13037

So when exactly did the face lift model come in?

And apart from the 3.6 engine and a glovebox what else is added?

I have read that the earlier 996 (1998/99) models had trim quality problems?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13038

Not problems, just not as nice as 2000 model.

All the 996 and boxster engines can potentially suffer from rear main seal leak, a bad design flaw. It can just be a £200 fix, or lead to you needing a new engine.

Official porsche dealers and most independent garages(barring 911virgin-because all their cars are high mileage) so not sure what you mean.

The facelift 3.6 was introduced October 2001. The 3.6 has a little extra power, but it weighs more too so doesn't make that much difference...it does have a little extra low down torque, which may be good for driving around town.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13043

why is the link 996 4s? Sorry.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13044

Hi Sarbs - if we are being picky it was 996 c4s not 996 4s and the reason was simply that it was the car I'm looking for. I could have posted "why is a 993 engine better than a 996" and got gazillions of answers from the 993'ers of course, but I was simply seeking clarification of info posted in this forum - i'm sorry if that is a problem.

noony - I've gathered that henry's cars are mainly high mileage etc but I have read that autobahn have a good rep in here yet never post mileage though they still recognise it is important when they occasionally post "low mileage" against a car.

regards

martyn

Migration info. Legacy thread was 13046

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back