Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

964 gearbox baulking 4th-3rd downchange

If it's specific to certain gears it could be a selector or synchros. However before trusting your pride and joy to a mechanic if you have some technical know how there are a few other things to try. Inspect and if necessary replace the bushing at the bottom of the gear lever , also the coupling bushing at the input shaft (look in the inspection hole behind the front seats) and the linkage at the gearbox. Even if this doesn't cure the problem it's an economic way of diagnosing the fault and having a great shifting box if you have to repair it.
Changing the gearbox oil can delay the need to rebuild too. Try Swepco or one of the others Porsche race temas swear by. I used Castrol synthetic gearbox oil in my SC (forget the exact name) when it first started giving me problems about 10,000 miles ago. It's only now I'm having to fix it.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 11701

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back