Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

engine compartment heater blower

foxiadam

hi,

my 3.2 has just acquired a whining noise fron the heater blower.

any idea where this is and how easy it is to lubricate?

adam

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10408

Whining Porsche............

Bit late with the advice here, sorry. All this is easy diy.

You have four fans on your 3.2, one for fresh air...bet it isnt that; two more down in each footwell, they come on with the hot air, run at two speeds and often screech on starting the heater (take the carpeted cover off, remove the fan, make sure its working, if so lubricate the bearings with WD40 or GT85...stick back in). If its knackered by a new one.

The other fan is in the engine bay, top left black thing with trunking going into it..This one should come on when ignition on, centre auto control to 3/4/5. I f it screaches you could remove and try to lubricate, but the bearings wear(so wiggle the shaft), its probably knackered and new required. :(

Many 3.2 do not benifit from all the blowers working properly hence an undeserved reputation for poor heating. If the fans and system work right you should get a jolly good blast of hot air up to the screen.

Lovely on a winters day, mmmmmmnnnn. :lol:

Adrian Crawford. 911secrets.com. performance2and4.co.uk

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10729

Adrian,

many thanks, it was the engine bay fan. the engine had just been dropped for replacement clutch, and the ducting had clearly been disturbed. I started to remove the ducting, but fairly quickly there were more bits on the garage floor than in the car. A few gentle taps with a mallet(!) seemed to settle the fan back into its familiar position, and no screaming for the passed week or so.

a non-traditional fix, but it worked!

cheers, adam.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10730

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back