Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sunroof seal repair

Peter Chase

My 1979 SC coupe sunroof is leaking a bit. I noticed that the seal on the front side of the body is worn out, which is probably the problem, as the leak is at the front.

I plan to replace this seal. I see that seals are available to purchase. There are long and short versions. I think I need the short version. Does that sound right for my car?

Has anyone any hints or tips to make the job of removing the old seal and replacing with new seal easier, or to achieve a better seal?

I see that there is a Pelican Parts article on sunroofs. It mostly deals with the mechanism, though, and my mechanism works fine (if rather noisily).

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10002

Check to confirm your leak first,

Open the sunroof and poor water into the drain channels,(outboard of the sunroof tracks). ? There are four drains, one at each front corner that you can see, check these are clear and draining, (they exit through the pillars and are visible with a door open)then move the car with the nose uphill and do the same check, pooring water into the outer part of the sunroof 'hole' and see if it drains out (open engine cover, the drains exit by the rear lid hinge ). So if drains are blocked try some garden strimmer cord up em. The felt you mention does little more than reduce wind noise and lessen the amount of water coming in.

Adrian Crawford 911secrets.com performance2and4.co.uk

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10089

DO not ask for the "short version" the long one is the one "velvet seal" that comes in the front and the "short velvet seal" it is going to go at the rear.

I know that because i had changed my rear seal after purchasing the wrong one several times.

Remember ask for the "velvet seals"

Salutations from Spain

911 3.2 year:1984

Migration info. Legacy thread was 10757

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back