Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear window rust bubbles

Gatekeeper

Silverstone
Does anyone else have the same problem with Rust bubbles occurring under the rear window trim. Apparently its common problem number 31 :wink:
and I've read that some people have had this fixed by OPC free of charge under the 10 year corrosion warranty.

Anyone else had the same issue and got it fixed. Just wondered if there's a particular angle I need to play or I just ask them to fix.

Thanks

window.open=NS_ActualOpen;

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9611

I would have thought any rust should be covered by the warantee. However, rust around rear window trim, and I assume it is appearing at the base of the rear window, is normally caused by careless refitting of the glass, which damages the galvinization (is that a word???) and allows rust to sneak in. I guess Porsche could argue that it is therefore not their fault or problem. If they do argue this I guess you would need to seek recompense from the glass fitters, although I have never heard of this happening. Hmmm. Interesting one.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9612

Don't believe that the glass has been replaced. It also has the original alarm warning sticker in the window...don't know if that is a clear indication or not.

On Rennlist if you search for rust bubbles, you get a few posts back.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9613

I wonder if it might have been removed and re-fitted (& perhaps taped) to stop sqeaks?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9614

If you're talking about the rear quarter-lights rather than the rear windscreen then it is the top of the rear wing that is rotting. This is a common rust area, but more worryingly it might indicate a crappy repair or replaced rear wing. The trim under the window is quite wide and is a real water trap (particularly when washing the car. I always try to remember to lift up the bottom edge of the trim and dry underneath it. I'm surprised you're having this problem on a 993 as it tends to be the older cars that show this more. It definitely should be covered by the 10 year rust guarantee (you might have a problem if it does prove to have been a non-OPC repair leading to the rust.) Good luck !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9615

Your right, I meant the rear quarter-light window.

I think I might take a trip to Lindbrook and let them take a look

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9637

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back