Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 for 12k-ish

Robert Haddow

First, as a Porsche virgin, I'd like to say how much I've enjoyed reading all the comments/posts on the forum. Very informative and useful. The only problem is now that my head is spinning and I feel like I've got information overload! :?

I've only got a small budget so my choices are limited, but I've set my heart on a 911. Originally I was thinking of a 1970s car, but I'm no mechanic (where does the oil go??!) and someone mentioned that there are a lot of horror stories out there.

Having read the comments here, is it feasible to get anything else? (A 1980s 3.2 for example) It will be a weekender, and I'm happy to look at LHD to keep the cost down.

I know you guys have probably answered hundreds of enquiries like this (and are probably sick of repeating yourself), but any personal help and advice would really be appreciated

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9164

A good 911 for 12k..

It is possible to find very nice cars for 12k, especially if you dont mind lhd. In some cases there is not a huge saving between lh and rh 911, but there can be a vast difference in quality (between all old 911).

Your desire for a 70's 911 is common, but if you want something that carries the lowest risk, easy maintanence and crucially, is free of corrosion you should head for a Carrera 3.2 or maybe a 3.0SC.

Depending on whether you want a 'mint' example, or a very nice usuable 911 will dictate which model and how new. I am sure there are a few top class 3.0SC out there for 12k and several decent 3.2, you just need to identify the good from the bad.

Some basic rules apply; 1.Dont buy the first shiny 911 you see - most are 'shiny' not so many are good. 2.Nice genuine cars tend to come from nice genuine people. 3.Dont buy one that needs any moderate work. Detail work okay, big stuff no. 4. Dont accept a low standard, you can find (with patience) some exceptionally good 911 for your money.

Oh, and forget 12k 964.

Good luck, I expect others here will pitch in too.

Adrian Crawford. performance2and4.co.uk 911secrets.com

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9166

Hi Robert. Welcome to the site.

Are you talking about buying a car in the UK? I notice from your info that you say you are in Hong Kong. In the UK £12k should get you a reasonable RHD '84-'86 Carrera 3.2 (with the older 915 gearbox, rather than the more modern G50 gearbox), or a great LHD '84-'86 Carrera 3.2 or a great RHD '78-'83 SC or might get you a great RHD '76-'77 Carrera 3.0 . These are all great cars with reliable motors and fully galvanised bodies. If you hunt around you should find rust-free examples in your price bracket. I have a soft spot for Carrera 3.0's but arguably your money would be best spent on the more powerful (but heavier) Carrera 3.2. It would also be worth you test driving a few LHD '87-'89 Carrera 3.2 so you can see how much your prefer the G50 gearbox. They are a lot easier to use and for £12k you may find some LHD examples in your price range if you hunt hard enough.

The best advice I can offer though is to not worry too much about precise model but to buy on condition ie a great SC will be a better buy than a tired G50 3.2

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9167

Thanks Adrian, your wise words are duly noted... I think I'll be heading down the 3.2/3.0SC route. Seems to make the most sense. Still feel I need to do a ton of research before I even dip my toe and look at some. I can imagine it's very difficult to walk away from shiny models(especially if, like me you are pretty impetuous)...

James, yes I'm in HK at present, but want a "coming home" pressie!!

Thanks again guys.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9212

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back