Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does your 993 oil temp rise in traffic?

Vic

Montreal
On Rennlist a fault that lots of people regularly discuss is Two Speed Ballast Resistor failure - which causes "low speed" fan mode not to work. There is one each (hidden under the front wings) for both the oil cooler fan and the A/C condenser fan.

I think my car is suffering from this, as oil temp can (very occasionally) reach "10 O'clock" in heavy traffic; at which point the fan (correctly) comes on in "high speed" mode. But it should already have been triggered to run at "low speed" once "9 O'clock" was reached, and never even reach the "10 O'clock" mark.

On
www.p-car.com
there are some diagnostic guidelines and sure enough the test seems to verify both my resistors are knackered. The bits don't cost much (£30 each) but to get them fitted........£££?

Anyone else running temps up to the "10 o'clock" mark? If its as common as the Rennlisters seem to suggest, a lot of cars are affected without their owners realising.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9149

Sitting in traffic this summer I was regularly getting towards the red sector at 10 o'clock but never crossed the line. Not sure if the 3.2 has the same oil cooling set up though. I'd been led to believe that the fan on the front oil cooler was only a 'hot country' option (on the 3.2 anyway). The thermostatic valve to the front oil cooler only opens approaching 10 o'clock and the fan doesn't kick in until even hotter (or wouldn't if my car had one !) I wouldn't be inclined to get too worked up about the temp - just make sure you've got plenty of oil in it. If it consistently gets into the red there may be a problem but otherwise I'd guess it's within the normal tollerances.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9151

My 993 rarely goes past (if ever) 9 oclock.

Sounds like your diagnostic is correct.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9163

Thanks Poon, that info triggered me into getting this job done. New resistor fitted at last - running nice and cool - doesn't cross 9 0'clock now!!

Turned out the AirCon resistor was also knackered, so its feeble performance should have improved as well!!

On to the next "common fault" now ........... Headlamp Washer's dont work (just the relay, I think).

Vic

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9617

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back