Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New

William David

I was looking for a porsche forum and came across this one. Doesn't look to bad actually. I am interested in modifying my 996, but would like to start with the exhaust system. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8212

I suppose that is a compliment :?

I know *****-all about 996's but there are lots of owners on the forum who will chirp up soon, I am sure. I am not sure how much you can do with the 996 Turbo though?

Anyone....?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8226

I reckon Peter Topping is your man here - CALLING PETER

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8227

Hi William,

Firstly welcome to the “Forum” I hope you find it useful, informative and interesting.

Phil is right in away due to my history in motor sport and the amount of 911’s I’ve owned…. I think number 8 is now on the way….I’ve been circling adverts….and we all know where that leads….. anyway enough of me.

996’s well where do I start…quick car, but not a quick sports car and I’II try and explain why…..and this is only my opinion.

Sorry I’ve now got on my soap box, it is for a reason though…..I will come back to exhaust and mod’s later.

BMW’s and Merc’s are quick cars, but they are cars or if you are a marketing man “sports saloons”, this enables manufactures to hype the price and therefore more margin on the sale, parts and servicing.

Don’t get me wrong, I like BMW’s and Merc’s, some of their models drive and handle incredibly well. I have proved this with my wallet with a number of M3’s under my belt …modified of course…. And a number of tasty Merc’s. For the record my wife run’s an AMG A Class.

Most consumers, that’s us, buy cars for a reason, to do a particular job that suits their personal life style, situation or persona, but for the most part an A to B tool.

I am concerned the average punter on the street and that’s the majority of buyers will lose the distinction between the brands and the cars they manufacture ie BMW, Merc and Porsche as the convergence of what a car has been designed for seems to be gathering pace.

And this is the reason why I’m on my soapbox, I think Porsche have lost the plot to the Yanks…they are now totally catering to the US market. Yes, it is their largest market, but this has led to a sell out of it’s sporting heritage. By positioning themselves as volume builders they are now presenting to a wider audience, this new customer base is a softer breed of driver that aspires to the brand but possibly not to the rawness of the driving experience. And this is the point, Porsche cars have changed…. completely. Porsche now have a large portfolio of Grand Touring and not Sports cars with the distinction of a coupe of Porsche’s original concept, the – GT2, GT3 etc. These however are out of the price range of most of their client base. Where do Porsche go from here ….. LM, F1, WRC or 4x4 shopping trolleys. Do we really want to see the Porsche brand at the local supermarket full to the brim with shopping bags and the sporting program canned? Answers on a postcard.

Finally back the 996 exhausts, Porsche did tone down the exhaust note to comply with US and TUV regulations on the early 996’s, this now seems to have changed on the later facelift models with a slighty sportier note bringing the later models back somewhat to sounding like Porsches should.

As with everything Porsche, again it’s down to money and noise!

Don’t expect to see a marked performance improvement when upgrading the rear boxes in isolation, in fact this applies to any component for the record, you might actually find a drop in performance! However, the car might “feel” quicker because of the noise, and yes most of the after market systems improve the noise – including the Porsche system. If you want to ”track” your car you could be buying problems, lot of the circuits are strict on noise and these levels vary from circuit to circuit.

Cargraphic’s

- Probably the best, most expensive, will produce the most bhp – especially with the 100 cell cats and are by far the nosiest!!! You will also very quickly upset your neighbours and everyone within a 5 mile radius. Light in weight and a quality built product. And just for the record they might be manufactured in England and branded up!

http://www.cargraphic.de/en/porsche/framesie.html

Fabspeed

- Well made, lighter than original boxes, sounds fantastic on full bore, easy to live with the noise on long journeys and neighbours, a bit wispy on tick over, easy to fit

http://www.fabspeed.com

http://www.fabspeed.com/Fabspeedmuffler.mp3

Porsche

Tequipment

- Porsche branded product that is expensive and slightly harder to install due to the vacuum control switch. Specially developed for the 996 Carrera, this innovative exhaust offers a richer and more powerful sound for your Porsche. Features include a unique soundproofing switch, enabling you to reduce noise output to standard levels if required. Not suitable for 911 Turbo or GT2.

http://www2.uk.porsche.com/isapi/english/gbr/accessories/911teq/item.asp?id=145&kat=Sport

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8424

Wow Pete!! :lol:

Glad I'm keeping the 993 now!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8427

Hi James,

Reading it again I did get a bit carried away!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8428

Have you driven a 996? :roll:

Why are they not sports cars? Just because they are more refined that takes away the sportiness?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8437

Noony,

I think that Pete is the ideal guy to make those statements, I believe that he is now on his 8th 911, which is pretty good in my books. His current 996 looks the biz, and he did most of the mods so he knows his stuff!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8439

Noony, I think you'll find Peter has driven pretty much everything! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8440

Pics?

I just don't see why people complain so much about the 996 losing the sportiness of porsche. Is it because it is less noisy? There would be no 911 today if porsche hadn't started using water cooling. It is more refined, but that is surely a good thing. If you don't want refinement then obviously buy a 993 RS or turbo. I do agree that it feels less solid(doors etc), and that the original 996 should have had the specs the GT3 does. Probably a missed opportunity. Hopefully the 997 will get the right balance.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8441

Sorry James, I didn't realised you've also put Noony in his place!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8442

:eek: :D
Ok I admit defeat....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8444

Peter - Now that was a post! Excellent stuff. Nice one.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8451

Peter - a very well informed post!

I looked at changing from 993 to a 996 and test drove a C2 recently. The less sporty feel owes a lot to how much easier the car is to drive. I found myself driving at speed with one hand whilst chatting to the salesman without even realising that in the 993 this would have resulted in a nasty accident as it demands full concentration.

I think that as an every day fast car the 996 has no real competition but for an occassional blast it just doesn't deliver the thrills - oh, and the exhaust/engine note on the earlier cars is pathetic.

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8460

Dunc - I think you hit the nail right on the head.

I have recently purchased a 996 C4S as my first Porsche and my day-to-day car. Having driven both 964s & 993s (and loved every minute of it), I couldn't have done the drive from home to work every day without parking it up a tree or worse. It isn't lacking in (controllable) excitement either when desired.

Personally speaking, I think I have bought the perfect car for what I need and I recommend everyone else do the same.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8502

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back