Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

mileage...does it matter?

ghostb4

Hi there,

I'm looking at this potential 964 buy. only 2 buyers. But it has 165,000km on it. It's a 1990 C4. Is mileage an issue? I personally would rather have a lower mileage one. For comparison sake, another similar 1990 c2 that has 97,000km is charging a good 30% premium over the higher mileage c4. Both has 2 prior owners. Thoughts?

thanks.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8093

Condition is much more important than mileage. That said, high mileage should make you doubly vigilant. I would definitely get a PPI done and definitely have a leakdown test done. Also, I would want to see proof of a recent, new clutch, as these do wear out (obviously) and are expensive to replace as it is an engine-out job. Evidence of new pads & discs would also be nice.

Cheers, James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8095

I think it depends on how long you're going to keep it. I found it near impossible to sell my car because it had high mileage. No one was interested even dealers. I had 38,000 miles on an 18 month old 996. Mad really.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8097

I ran a BMW M3 Evo to just under 200k and it never missed a beat. I would hope that Porkers with the same germanic build should do the same.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 8952

964 mileage...

Because of the age, condition has to be more important than miles. Sure everything wears out with use, clutches, suspension, well the whole car really, but dont compare simply on miles. Both cars you say are two owners, but they look like imports. So are they two owners in total (which would be great) or two owners in the UK? (more likely). You will only know how many real owners if they have the original title (farhzeigbrief) on a German Import. Its no point paying a premium for ownership if you dont actually know how many. Clocking is prevalant too.

Therefore, check the car out properly. A 964 is a good piece of kit in the right condition.

p.s miles and saleability will affect a newer 911 more than the older ones.

Adrian crawford performance2and4.co.uk 911secrets.com.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 9049

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back