Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What to buy?

k shepherd

I'm looking at buying a used Porsche (I need 2+2). I have a budget of £48-£50K max. What would be my best buy, 911 or 966?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7695

I would guess you mean either a late 993 or 996? With that kind of budget, you may as well go for a year old 996 with next to nothing on the clock.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7696

...or buy the best 993 Turbo you can find.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7697

I'm going to look at a 01Y reg 996 C2 later @ £46,995. I think there was a slight facelift on the next reg? Nothing major? Any problems/points to look for? :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7699

For what my biased lover of older 911s opinion is worth, you have to make up your mind just why you are buying the car. Ultimately you have to love the shape and style of the car you have payed so much for everytime you get in it. If you want the latest technical package then the 996 must surely be the best buy. If you want something that really is drop dead gorgeous then a 993 with those beautiful curved rear arches is your choice and it will reward you in the driving deparment too, hell even my old modified SC does that, lol, after all it's a Porsche. The 993 now has a certain exclusivity, I've forgetten how many 996s I've passed on the road and parked up without really giving them a second glance.
I also suspect that the 997 may well have some of the 'classic stuff' back on display, cute lights, more flare at the rear, if that's the case a 996 will be seen as the most bland Porsche in years and hence less desirable; re-sale values will be hit.
If I were you I'd look at an aero kitted 996 with the lattice type wheels or if you can find one in budget a 996 Carrera S or 4S. If you fancy a 993 take a look at the turbos and the RS models for real exclusivity and punch.
Just so no one gets offended I do like the 996, I think it could have been so much better though.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7700

£50k eh? LHD GT3 my friend :wink:
...nah I guess you need something slightly more practical. You can get a facelift model for around your budget with 20 more hp, different lights and a better exhaust note.

However, if you need proper 2+2 practicality, I'd suggest a 55AMG of some sort.

My choice would be 993 turbo though.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7702

for that money, you could buy an immaculate low mileage 993 Turbo.

I agree wholeheartedly with Bones regarding residual 996 values once the 997 is released and of course I am biased too!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7741

The C2 sounds expensive I wouldn't pay more than 40k. If you're going for a 996 definitely buy the facelift version. The headlamps have a teardrop shape, otherwise everyone looking in their rear view mirror will think you're driving a boxster. Not that theres anything wrong with that necessarily. But the boxster is a lot less than 50k unles you have the s.

I would also say if you can afford it buy a C4 unless you are a very capable driver.
Especially if you're putting kids in the back. (Or as Manek calls them Ankle biters)
O

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7744

RHD 993 RS low depreciation and a damn fine car!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7749

Chap from Cyprus has just faxed me over some prices for new 996's, UK spec (MY 04), if anyone's interested mail me:

(Prices in Euros, pre tax)

Carrera Coupe 64,100Targa 70,800Carrera Cab 72,700Carrera 4 Coupe 69,100Carrera 4 S 76,500Carrera 4 Cab 77,700

Turbo 108,800

GT2 150,900

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7750

Thats cheap! 1 euro=about 75p.

A turbo is about 80k.

Not bad, seeing as the price has risen to over 90k here!

There was someone complaining that prices were extortionate over there...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7762

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Olivia on 01 September 2003

I would also say if you can afford it buy a C4 unless you are a very capable driver.Especially if you're putting kids in the back. (Or as Manek calls them Ankle biters)O
O you don't have to be a very capable driver to handle a 996 C2. These cars are pussycats, most are optioned with PSM anyway!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7763

for low depreciation and a fine car a pre-facelift 996 C2 with a single figure thousands on the clock, or you may just be able to squeak a facelift model with 8-12k and reasonable spec. i bank on losing 5k a year in value for my 2001 C2, which is only a bit more than a new modeo etc.

actually i think the facelift model is worth the extra 3 or 4 k as its "up-to-date" spec (apart from PCM II), extra horses, glovebox, lights, exhaust etc all make it a better experience.

how necessary is a C4? i've only felt traction go twice in my C2 in 6 months of travel (!) and each time the psm stuff saved me. (phew...), but i do get a nice little luggage compartment in the front and a useful weight saving, so better fuel consumption and acceleration.

search the auto-trader web site to understand the prices...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7791

Just like to clear the record that C2's do not have better fuel consumption nor better acceleration than C4's!

There is more space in the luggage compartment granted in the C2's, but the Porsche 4WD system is made of light weight composites meaning little difference in acceleration or fuel consumption.

Some would even go so far as to suggest that the C4 is quicker off the mark due to power displacement through all 4 wheels, but I am happy to accept that they are equals!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7795

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back