Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Scuffed alloys

raman

Hi

One of my Cup alloys has been badly scratched around the rim (not by me - by my girlfriend, who I was obviously very pleased with). Does anyone have any experience of having their alloys polished - is this worthwhile or should I just cough up £480 odd for a new wheel?

Thanks for any pointers.

Raman :(
----------------92 964 Carrera 4 Cab

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7350

Hi Raman

Most kerbing scratches can be easily repaired. (Should be circa £40) In the past I have used these guys:-

http://www.wicked-wheels.co.uk/

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7351

Hi Vic,

Thanks for the speedy response and recommendation. I'll check them out - so does such a repair leave any evidence or is it pretty clean?

Thanks again.

(being new to this site I guess I should have added the colour of mine too, which is met. black)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7352

.............should look spanking new!

Vic

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7353

and they're mobile too...excellent.

Can I ask another question pls - thinking of trading up from 964 (first Porsche) to 993. Question is - 993 or 996 as we're talking similiar money and the 996 is a more "modern" car? (think I know the answer...)

cheers

Raman

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7354

You need to drive them both, but I suspect if you like your 964 you'll prefer a 993 to a 996 - not that I'm biased.

Good info at
http://www.performance2and4.co.uk/index.html
and Adrian sometimes replys on this forum.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7363

Raman,

If your in the midlands area try A1 wheels in Wolverhampton, had them fix up an old set of alloys for me and they did a superb job.

Wazza

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7365

Thanks Wazza, I should've mentioned that I'm in London.

ta anyway

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7370

Think I'm already convinced, thanks, that wonderful aircooled sound.

How about Tiptronic? I'm getting a bit sick of heavy clutch in London traffic and was considering a 993 Tip - is it a "semi-automatic" like the old Beetles?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7380

I got a Tip as I used to sit on the lovely M25 on my commute to work and it was great! I've just got another car as my daily runner, and to be honest I would now perfer a manual as the 993 is just a weekend car.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7386

Sorry, should have answered the question.......It's an auto box with the ability to swap to manual via small up and down switches on the steering wheel.

The 993 tip is also only 4 speed.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7387

Hi Raman

Its been up on previous threads, but here's my observation. I drive mine in TIP mode permanently unless I'm enjoying my timeshare on the M25. On the fortunately few occasions where I've got caught in traffic for any period of time, it does save the circulation problems in the old left foot. Nearly Mrs Hendo drives in permanent auto mode, more to do with ease of driving a 911 (new experience for her) than anything else. I still have fun with the TIP though and dont miss the manual box

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7388

Thanks James + Hendo for your advice. Guess it comes down to personal preference?

Incidentally, planning to source 993 Tip Cab (C2/C4) in Deutschland - have checked out a couple of websites (equivalent of Autotrader etc) - amazing choice and at pretty unbeatable price. Obviously some hassle involved but I found approx 22 cars with my desired spec - sure beats messing around with Cridfords et al.

-------------
964 C4 CabMet Black

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7389

manual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7393

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back