Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Varioram or non-Varioram

Pixelation

Ok the power difference is 272BHP vs 285BHP but does the extra 13BHP make any noticiable difference on acceleration, mid-range torque or top speed??? Was it a much needed engine upgrade or just Porsche refining an already quality engine?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7172

Pixelation

Varioram engines produce a significant increase in torque at moderate engine speeds across a relatively wide rpm range. Acceleration should feel stronger but not to the degree that its hugely noticeable, and has no real impact on top end speed

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7176

..as an example you would notice a big improvement in time if accelerating from say 40mph to 70mph in fifth gear

...oh and they have slightly better fuel consumption too.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7178

Well I used to own a 285, now I have a 272. The new car doesn't feel as quick as the old one, but I just put that down to owning a faster accelerating car inbetween. Interesting that 13bhp does make that much of a difference though.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7179

varioram or not?

Seems to me that most of us use only a % of the available hp most of the time, what with traffic etc. On top of that ther is in my experience more difference between individual cars (now that they are over 6 year old) than between varioram and 272. Sure slightly more torque, but buy the best 993 you can find and don't get your knockers in a twist over the hp.

If you have to pedal it better.

Adrian crawford. performance 2and4.co.uk 911secrets.com

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7187

Sorry ..............Knickers. :D

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7188

Adrian,

You are beginning to sound like Henry at 911virgin.com!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7190

Thanks for the comments. Was more worried/interested if there was any modifications carried out by Porsche between the 2 engines other than the introduction of VarioRam. Take your point Adrian on buying the best 993 I can find but the same old problems of age and mileage come into play. I've got £35k and I really would like a C4S however this model seems to attract a hefty premium. I've found one at Northway with 67k for £35k and I've also seen a C4 at Hamiltons in Bristol with 37k for £33k - would there be sense in the lower mileage car or better depreciation in the rarer C4S??

PS - I'm in no rush and happy to wait for the "right" car to turn up.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7192

Looking at a cars Mileage is not always that straightforward. A regularly serviced, motorway driven, high mileage 911 could be in much better condition with less overall wear than a low-mileage, around town driven, and irregular serviced car.

Whichever you go for make sure you get a PPI done

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7194

is there a big diff between C2S abd C4S prices. if not then that could be an option if you are flexible on wheel drive and brakes.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7200

On depreciation,

Assuming you look after your 993 I dont think you will experience % terms any difference in depreciation. Wear and tear is linked to mileage and style of usage, so you have to judge each car on its own merits.

But, in the trade there is a big difference in value/saleability as 993 approach 80+ thousand miles , it doesnt mean the car will be bad, far from it. But will make them less attractive. Additionally some items like clutches, wishbones, dampers will have a lifespan, and you dont really want to be the one renovating all the tired pieces.

Each car is different but by 80K most will need or have had some big invoices.

One more point. The drive. A C4S against a C4... The S is much stiffer, therefore consider the type of driver you really are and whether the extra chassis stiffness is valuable (ultimate handling) or an inconvenience (comfort).

The best thing is to take a look at both/all see what you like, because thats always best. But buy a good one.

Adrian Crawford. performance2and4.co.uk 911secrets.com

Migration info. Legacy thread was 7207

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mint_Sauce
Back