Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

puncture repair help please

poon

got a nail in my rear 18' tyre last week, puncture was slow and in the middle of the tread, took it to a local tyre place and they plugged it.

I didn't want to replace it as it has about 5mm of tread on it.

My mate reckons that I now cannot go over 70mph safely, does anyone know what the new speed rating of my repaired tyre will be.

Should I have binned it, and it therefore its matching pair?

Help please

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6278

Given how fast our motors go through tyres I would also be loath to bin an otherwise good tyre. I can't imagine that the tyre would only be good to 70mph. I would imagine that most tyre outfits only repair them if it make them neally as good as new, maybe not to the full rating.

The RAC or AA might be able to shed some light on what effect repair has.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6279

I won't worry too much as long as you don't consistently heat the tyres up with excessive speed. I had one of mine "plugged" a month ago as well and its been fine, despite recording 153mph on a recent trip up north!

The reality is, any tyre could have been plugged before being acquired by its new owner (assuming it was bought as a used vehicle) and yet, we pay no attention to the risk. However, once the puncture which results in a plug occurs while the vehicle is in our possession, we develop some kid of phobia to explosion at high speed - what you don't know.....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6280

Cheers Guys,

might ask Jonas at JZ when I speak next week. Thinking back I have had repaired tyres before with no problems.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6281

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back