Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

K&N filter

Singh

Hi, Has anyone installed one of these filters in their 3.2 carrera?

Any improvements?, any more bhp?

cheers

Amo

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5884

Yes

I installed one on my '88 3.2 without problems and noticed a pleasant noise increase and because of this a feeling that there was more power, I also cut 6 x 2 inch holes in the airbox cover which further increased the fruity roar. I never had a dyno to see whether it was faster but you could only expect a very small increase any way.

Porsche offer a filter box cover and exhaust stainless steel polished exhaust end pipes as a "Sound enhancement package" for the 993 for a large sum of dosh but with no performance promises.

Carrera cup racing airboxes are simply the retaining rim for the filter with no box and these can be had from some accesory dealers..

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5888

I think that Jamie Summers has one on his!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5903

I thought I had read there was an issue with K&N in that the filter is more coarse and therefore lets small particles through? I have also heard that there is no bhp improvement, despite K&N's claims - I think Bruce Anderson covers this in his "Performance Handbook", which is the bible on matters concerning modifications.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5904

Yep I've got one, I posted a reply to Amo's post on the PCGB Forum (couldn't be arsed to do it here as well !) - Sounds nice / won't do anything for power - no issues of the nature suggested by Mr Ball, but I am aware that some people claim it's a potential problem - frankly life's too short !

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5931

Jamie. I like your approach. I think you could be a very good influence on me!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5932

if the filter lets in small particles then surely drilling holes in it is a bit of a deathwish? i dunno, just speculating.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5944

The argument is that the Porsche filter is finer so stops all the little particles and it doesn't matter if the box holding the filter has holes in or not - it is the filter doing the work not the box. The K&N filter is slightly coarser so lets particles through. As far as I am aware, though, this has not been proved. The question is, though, do you want to risk it for a slight improvement in induction noise?

You pay your money and take your choice....

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5972

oh right, i gets ya. :oops:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5999

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back