Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Are there any other 993 weekend drivers?

baylon

Silverstone
I currently use my 993 only at weekends and I have to charge the battery during the week in order for the car to start the next weekend. I have been told that 993's have a high current draw. Is this true for all 993's or is this just a problem on 993 turbos.

I am thinking about getting a new battery to see if this makes a difference. As far as I am aware, the alternator is OK.

Thanks, Mark

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5720

Mark

mine lasts just over two weeks if unused - I find one week no problem - 1 flat battery in 4 months.

you may well have a dicky battery.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5740

I'm about to become a weekend only driver, but I've just been on holiday for 2 weeks, came back and she started up no problem straight away!

Like JamesL said, you may have a dodgy battery!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5743

Thanks guys. Do you think it is worth paying the extra for an official Porsche battery or should I go for say, a Bosch one?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5744

My's an official Porsche one, but I'd be unable to tell you if it's any better or worse than the Bosch one. It works!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5746

The 1997 993 that I bought a week ago has two batteries on the service record an a red isolating switch for the battery in the front compartment. I guess that indicates being off the road for extended periods in line with the 20,000 miles travelled since 1997. It also points to batteries being unable to cope with extended drains without charging.

The 911 porscheworld and I think the PCGB mags carry trickle charge battery chargers for infrequent users.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5749

Hi Mark

I'm the same as JamesL. Only a problem if I dont drive for 2 weekends, then its a problem. This was much more pronounced on the old 964 of mine. There are old threads somehwere relating to a trickle charger that doesnt have Seeboard slavering over your monthly bill. If you've had to re-charge with a normal charger a few times it does eventually affect the battery and renders it unable to be re-charged. A new one will certainly improve it but it should'nt keep draining unless you've an aftermarket alarm system or the like.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5752

The first owner of my car had to replace batteries every year as he did not drive it frequently. The subsequent owner used a Porsche battery charger and he never had to change the battery. Couple of weeks of not driving? No problem fires up first time every time.

His

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5753

the last owner of mine replaced the battery as well, in november 1999 so the first one only lasted two years :(
. hopefully the second will last longer :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5756

Chaps

Mine 993 is also mainly weekend use, but when I was away on business for 6 and 1/2 weeks, I cam back and she started fine - with the alarm on pretty much all that time. A decent battery will generally last, so if it's not holding charge its time for a new one. And definately no need for an official Porsche one when Bosch are just as good and a lot cheaper...

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5806

I work away for 2 weeks at a time and when I first left my car I would return to a dead battery. Had to buy one quick so a Halfords heavy duty effort was purchased - so far perfect even when left for near 3 weeks.

There is a high current draw on my car made obvious by some sparking when the new battery was connected.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5819

I bought a Porsche battery at the weekend so I will let you know how I get on. Thanks for the replies.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5821

I just got back from a 3 week holiday (well honeymoon actually) and the car started no problem, but I did put a new battery in it when I got it, as it died on me shortly after I bought it.

Alarms tend to drain the battery - my Impreza 22b is bad for that, and you need to watch some radios - I have one that can record the latest traffic bulletin and play it back when you get in the car, but it drains the battery in under a week if you don't drive.

Colin

Migration info. Legacy thread was 5831

<SCRIPT> window.open=NS_ActualOpen;
Hate to state the obvious, but rather than just replace the battery why not check the current draw when parked/shutdown. It should only be about 20 milliamps (from memory). If it is SIGNIFICANTLY higher, you then start to pull fuses from the fuse board until the draw drops. That is your dodgy circuit.....

....or just buy a trickle charger for £35....

..or lend me the car during the week and I will make sure your battery never fails!!

window.open=NS_ActualOpen;

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6276

An easy solution-make it your daily driver!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6295

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HannahMich
Back