Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My day at the Top Gear filming!

911UK

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it's been a very very long day... took a few pics, some good, mostly bad (I need a new camera!). Very enjoyable though...

http://www.911uk.com/topgear.asp

It will be shown this Sunday.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4289

Nice weather!

You got some interesting photos. Funny to see the set like that.

How do you think the 996TT will come across on telly?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4290

It was very wet in the morning, stig struggled with the turbo (he actually said "I didn't enjoy that"!), numerous attempts were made to get a good time. In the end I think (with the time adjusted for "wet") it was a little quicker than the Mercerlargioooawhatever. The sun came out around midday, but they'd run out of time to do another shoot.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4292

Nice pics.. shame about the weather. Hopefully JC won't use that as an excuse to slate the car! Hehe

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4294

Why did they have to blag a car that belonged to joe public and not get one from Porsche?

I would not let "the stig" loose near my car!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4296

Phil,

First of all a BIG THANKS for getting me involved in the day and a BIG SORRY for not being able to find you to say good-bye when I left.

I thought The Stig was a great guy. Sure he thrashed my car round the track (with me in it for 3 laps) but he was in sympathy with the mechanics most of the time.

He didn't like the way the car was coping with the standing water on the first straight - it was aquaplaning very badly but then given the amount of standing water on that part of the track I don't think anything short of a boat would have done any better. Scared the sh** out of me the first time he took me down that part of the track - got very sideways when he should have been going in a straight line. That said, all of his driving was with PSM turned off. Given the conditions The Stig is the true Driving God.

Other than that, the car came across very well. Stig posted the best wet time ever which when adjusted to a dry time is very respectable indeed. Lambo what? Who needs one!

One real treat was the arrival of a Koenigsegg CC which Stig proceeded to thrash around the now dry track. This is a 650bhp, 242mph, $300,000 supercar which the Stig had a few problems coming to grips with, especially the gear change. Grabbed first instead of third once! I overhead him telling Jeremy to be careful of that when he drives it tomorrow otherwise he’ll blow the engine - could make next weeks program interesting.

The morning was devoted to rehearsal and there were very few members of the public at this. At 2pm, joe public and the filming began. Got a bit tiresome after a while, especially given we’d seen most of it during the morning. Anne Robinson was pretty good though and certainly gave as good as she was given.

Poon, the used my car because Porsche GB had loaned the press car to someone else for the day (Welsh Sheep Breeders weekly according to Jeremy) and wouldn’t let them have it. Personally I’m not bothered about what The Stig did in it as that’s what the car is designed for. I was more worried about the audience being all over it as they would have thought it was just a press car but nothing happened.

Overall I was glad I did it and would do it again given the chance. Everyone was very grateful for the loan of the car. I received personal “thank you”s from the director, Jeremy and Stig plus Richard Hammond who fell in love with it and now wants one.

Cheers

Rob

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4300

Rob,

Your'e right a Porsche is meant to be driven hard, however stig drives a bit harder than most and tyres, clutches and brakes cost.

But then hey! youv'e got a 996 turbo! F*ck the cost of consumables! :wink:

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4301

So the obvious question....Who is the Stig ?? Any clues ?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4304

We know, and we're not telling :)

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4305

Previous poster said:
Quote: Originally posted by Neil5194 on 05 June 2003

So the obvious question....Who is the Stig ?? Any clues ?

Perry McCarthy I believe

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4306

Hi Phil,

A big thanks from me too - Rob let me drive his car home too, so it was good to be the first to take it for a spin after the Stig. Not literally a spin, you understand, though :oops:

Anyway, I had a bit of a problem with 3rd gear .. is this common? :D

MarcCerbera 4.2

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4308

Nice one Rob,

Very sporting of you to support the cause! Nice looking car, and as you say it is designed for that sort of treatment (maybe not too regularly though :) )

Look forward to seeing it on the box

Dunc

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4310

Nice one (especially the car!! :lol: )

Come one spill the beans.....who is Stig????

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4312

Nope, not for free anyway (got to pay for tyres somehow).

Now that I know, I think it was far more fun not knowing so I wouldn't want to spoil it for any of you.

One of the guys there took a photo of Stig without his helmet on and was pounced on by the director demanding the film from the camera.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4319

Rob

Suprised the Beeb did'nt throw in a set of tyres - or found some dealer to do that. Tell them to take it out the licence fee

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4323

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back