Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Paid 911 deposit 5 years ago!

Porsche Events

Old forum user Unidentified(4266) wrote:

Reading about all the new 911's being delivered and driven (with great restraint below 4250 revs!) reminds me that I have been waiting over 5 years for my 996!!!!

I moved to Hong Kong in 1995 with my job expecting to be away for 2 to 3 years. On a home leave visit in April 98 I put down a deposit on a new 996 as I was told I would be in Hong Kong for another year or two. This would mean that the car would be delivered just when I returned, perfect. In Jan 2001, I switched the deposit to a Turbo to compensate for the fact that I was going to have to stay for another year or two away from home. A few months later I was told by my Porsche dealer that all build slots for Turbos were allocated and I was too far down the list to ever get one (at least for the current model). I switched the deposit to the upcoming C4S for delivery in January 2003. I then had to delay this date by 6 months (my choice) until July 2003. This date will not change!!!!!!!!!!!!

So all you cheshire cats out there in your awesome motors, spare a thought for those of us still waiting and wanting and wanting.....envy...envy...envy.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1907

Hmmmm £1000 5% compound interest for over 5 years equates to around £276, try and make the dealer give you an option i.e (342) heated seats (£253) to justify this! :D
Far Far too much time on me hands, think its time to contact the open university for another degree!!!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1908

robut......don't come the sympathy vote with me.
whilst you've been doing corporate junks in causeway bay, enjoying romantic trysts on the peak, eating fine food in stanley and thrashing your amex in wanchai....i've been on a gloucestershire industrial estate dealing with rain and grey skies... and fighting the M5/M6 interchange weekly.
Welcome home !!!
The 5 years you waited in H.K. will be as nothing compared to the few remaining weeks in UK.
Still....they say deferred gratification is good for the soul.
If you get Glos. way let me know ....be chuffed to demonstrate CFOURS.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1921

thats wierd

Merlin in Nottingham told me that i can have a new 996 turbo in January if i ordered it now.

Camtune have a slot for a new 996 turbo for delivery in June and you can spec that up by end of march latest.

have a good look around and you can deffinatly get a new turbo in a relativly short space of time

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1926

Are you paying a premium for the turbo off camtune?

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1935

jay jay

Nice one - you know too much and it's all true! A fellow gweilo I think. How long were you here? Must admit Hong Kong has been a blast but now looking forward to coming home. I have consoled myself running a Boxster for the last 4 years, 911's are an arm and 2 legs here.

Thanks for the CFOURS demo offer, I will take you up on it if mine isn't ready when I get home - must think of a suitable name sometime.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1942

Cosmo

Thanks for the info - sounds like you are seriously looking for a turbo.

To be honest, when HR Owen told me all turbo slots were gone in early 2001 I didn't look anywhere else. I think Porsche Gmbh must have extended production volumes later due to unprecedented demand. Now I am £5K into the C4S as I have a confirmed slot with a spec'd car so I can't really justify the extra £25K - as much as I'd like to.

I think some of the turbo slots are due to peole walking away due to crap economy/stock market/job prospects etc. Maybe rumours of cancelled turbo cabrio and 997 release probably had some impact also. Whatever, the turbo is still the dogs whatsits in my opinion.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1943

yes mate, i'm looking at a second hand one tomorrow at Merlin. The second hand buyer is getting one in ( black, manual, pcm, aero kit, 6000 miles, Bose ) that i might have if its ok, not sure of the price though £90k...does anybody think that is a fair price ?

i really want a new one,
www.camtune.com
have an available slot in june, but not sure when in june as i forgot to ask :p

As you say, maybe they have extended the production...or some yuppie dealers have got bored of the idea of a 911..lol... and have cancelled their orders

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1978

Lot of money for a second hand car albeit a turbo, it may be the going rate I know, but if you can try and go for a car you can spec as your own.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1992

I think thats a fair price considerin the spec. Aerokit alone would bring a brand new 1 up from 86K to 90K just about.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2009

........thought your girlfriend was paying anyway!

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2010

she is, which is why its even more important to pay the right price.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 2029

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back