Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 smoke on start up

andyphilpott

Monza
Hi chaps

I had not started my 993 (1996 Varioram) for about 9 days, then yesterday went out to start her up. She belched out a load of blue smoke, which quickly stopped from the exhaust, but even so I have never seen this before. The smoke lingered for a while, but it was pretty scary seeing all this blue smoke. Is this something I should be worried about and get checked, or is it an element of the engine??? Any thoughts. Many thanks

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1500

Initial reaction is that it's nothing to worry about.

Certainly earlier cars e.g. 3.2 Carrera do this - result of dry sump/boxer engine set-up - as a little bit of oil accumulatres in the cylinders. It's perfectly normal.

Can't see any reason why the 993 engine would not do the same as it's the same layout. But maybe a 993 owner can fully put your mind at rest.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1502

If I didn't drive my 993 for more than a couple of days it'd throw out clouds of blue smoke on start-up, nothing to worry about, all to do with the dry sump business (so I was told).

Phil

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1504

My 3.2 did it then my boxster did it then the 993 continued the family tradition I was very pleased when my mates 996 C4s with only 5k miles on it did it although he was particularly embarassed as it was at a Croft track day! It is exactly what Philly has said the oil leaks into the cylinders only worry if it does it when driving.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 1537

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back