Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

High mileage 993's

andyphilpott

Monza
Chaps

What's the experience out there of high mileage 993. I am looking, as my previous Oz spec 993 was, about the 40-60k miles level, but there's one for sale near me, a 1996 (P) C2 S with 142,000 miles, pretty much all motorway with 2 owners (first owner has it from new to 2001, and did 130,000 in it. I am trying to avoid the in-built stigmatism (cool word!) that goes with high mileages, but is it that given its all motorway miles, is it OK, or the other way that at this mileage, more things will need replacing and therefore spend the more on a lower mileage. It;s up for 28 grand by the way (FSH as well). Thanks, Andy

Migration info. Legacy thread was 330

Hi Andy

I am not sure what the price premium of a C2S is over a standard C2 but this sounds over-priced to me. I mentioned on another post that there is a 993 C2 for sales and an article written about it in the latest 911 & Porsche World magazine. The asking price for this black, 55k mile 993 C2 is £30k - to me this sounds like a better bet.

Has the car had any engine work? I don't know for sure but I would guess that you would be looking at some kind of rebuild with that sort of mileage on the clock. The phrase I have heard is "
With that mileage, anything could go wrong anytime without any warning.
". And as a reference, you don't hear of too many 993s with more miles on them than that! As a gross generalisation I believe that 200,000 is considered to be about the limit for a 993. Even motorway miles take their toll.

Personally I would be nervous about this many miles.

All of this is purely my opinion!

Cheers, James

Migration info. Legacy thread was 331

Hi Andy!

at that mileage, check the front suspension triangles. If he silent blocks are cracking they have to be changed. Otherwise your car will not be very precise along it's trajectory. They are situated around the two axes which hold those triangles to the chassis. With a screw driver you force them one by one slightly to one side to be able to see the inside. If they are cracked you'll see it (replacement:250€ per triangle). The hydraulic steering could leak; remove the caoutchouc, if there is oil the entire assistance has to be change (700€). If the alternator has never been revised, then it could be time (275€).

This is my own experience up to now.

Cheers

J.P.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 463

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back