Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

BUYING A 964

Kenny

Help,at present I own a E220 Merc coupe it is a very nice car but I have my heart set on a 911.My wife says do it now before you get any older !! (43) What are the pitfalls on a 964 up to £20K or should I go a little more and look for a 933.

Kenny.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 71

Kenny,

I'm not aware of pifalls with the 964, I think the most common problem with the very earlier 964's concerns the dual-mass flywheel made by Freudenberg. This had a rubber damper which was prone to breaking up, leading to vibration and a rattling sound especially under hard acceleration.In 1992 Porsche switched to a more reliable dual-mass flywheel made by LUK. If you go for an early car it will be worth checking the service history to see if the flywheel has been replaced with the more reliable unit.There was also an issue with the distrubuter belt which could break due to the build up of ionised air within the distrubuter casing deteraring the rubber belt. in 1993 Porsche fixed this by way of a vent for the casing which can be easily reto-fitted to earlier cars.

It will be worth you ordering a back issue of 911&Porsche World (March 2002 Edition). They did a 12 page buyers guide on the 964 and what to look out for (above is an extract). 911&Porsche World web address:
http://www.chp.ltd.uk/
Also check out:
www.porsche964.co.uk

Whatever you do make sure you have a Porsche Inspection carried out before purchase.

Good luck with your search.Jay.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 72

Jay,

Thanks for that,looks like I have a lot of reading to to over the

weekend.I will let you know how I get on.

Many Thanks

Kenny

Migration info. Legacy thread was 73

The two things that jay pointed out are correct but most 964 have had a clutch by now and the parts have come down in price,

OIL LEAKS !!!!
sorry to have to be the one that tells you but, they can leak like a sive. cost you a shed load of money. so be carefull.

Clive

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4515

LHD 993.

Migration info. Legacy thread was 4518

My advcie is:

1. Buy as new a car as you can afford - you'll save on aggro and maintenance

2. Don't expect concours from a car that is at least 10 years old - and yes, they do leak oil but its soemtimes no big deal

3. Do get it PPI'd ON A RAMP

4. Buy the 964 C4 not C2 is you're coming from a Merc - its gives a little more comfort in the rain etc

5. Buy RHD - £20k is plenty to get a good one, but LHD is a pain in the arse - you can't see well enough in my view

6. You may like to visit other websites which offer sportscar guides

7. Remember - its about condition and history not miles to a point, and once you get to 70 or 80 k miles, a good specilaist is perhaps even better than a OPC on these cars - they see so many more.

Good luck

Migration info. Legacy thread was 6063

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back