Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

BMW E92 M3 opinion

Locosaki

Nurburgring
I've had my 996 for 5 years now and have spent a fortune on her in that time maintaining the car the best I possibly could the problem I have now is I have an itch for something else.

I find myself coming back to the M3 this time the E92. I've never driven one or even been in one but I love the looks and the sound is amazing. Just a thought at this time as parting with the 996 will be hard but unfortunately it would have to be sold to finance the M3.

Anyone with any thoughts on the M3 please chime in

Awesome cars. The only real weakness is rod bearings and throttle actuators. Lots of good info on M3 Cutters forum if you can stand the banter Bobba fett on here has had a few and knows his onions on M cars I've had a few and love them..

I have had a couple of M3s, both E46, first was a cabriolet and now a CSL. I have read a lot about the E92, the engine sounds like a real gem, but I have never been tempted to buy one. The recent video from Harry's Garage on the CSL reinforced my opinion.

MC

Personally they did very little for me, brother had a comp pack coupe and whilst it looked very nice I found it really dull and tiring to drive.

Coming from the beautiful simplicity of an E46 M3 the E9x just felt overly complicated with far too many configurable options for gearbox etc etc, the complete lack of torque means you literally have to ring its neck to make any form of brisk progress, some may argue that's the point of it, for me it got tiresome quite quickly.

Prices seem to be on the rise so I guess I'm in the minority, don't think I'd jump out of a 996 for one though.

I'm 18 months into my second E92 M3 and they are great allrounders, definitely a buzz around them at the moment and the S65 will be one of the last great V8s.

Attachments

• s_l1600_2_980.jpg
    s_l1600_2_980.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 6,835
When I found out I was becoming a dad, I ended up thinking the E92/93 (one with CF roof) was the only thing RWD that could do it all in my price range.

Lined up one near Bournemouth that was owned by a Detailer, had the issues sorted. In the end I just couldn't let the Cayman go. The Beamer just did nothing for me in the looks or the heart department. 410bhp was nice when I drove them.

Head over to Cutters by all means though, seemed a good lot and that is where I found my prospective car. Boba will look after you too.

I had my E92 LE finished in Imola red which I adored, had the car 4 years and put about 40k miles and apart from service costs it was faultless in fact I miss that car a lot!
There's a huge amount of stuff about these cars around and cutters is a source of good information.
When I was looking I tried the manual but it was awful so bought the dct version which IMO suits the car perfectly!
What didn't I like
You sit high
Thick steering wheel
Mpg (18 mpg ) average
RFL close to £600
Brakes ok for road use but need upgrading if used on track
Apart from the above I enjoyed my ownership and would consider another if was to move my 911 on!

Looks like it would be a tough call to make. I'd hate to sell the 996 and regret it 6 month down the line knowing what I've put into the car.

I've done a bit of digging into the E92 as well as what I've read here and everything does seem positive with the main pitfalls being what parsley has pointed out. I got talking to the guy that has the local shop and he has a petrol blue E92 with carbon roof and it looks and sounds amazing.

Prices do vary for the E92 anywhere 15k up from what I see.

Good point about the height in the car.... felt like I was in a Transit with carpets to match :lol:

Locosaki said:
Looks like it would be a tough call to make. I'd hate to sell the 996 and regret it 6 month down the line knowing what I've put into the car.

I've done a bit of digging into the E92 as well as what I've read here and everything does seem positive with the main pitfalls being what parsley has pointed out. I got talking to the guy that has the local shop and he has a petrol blue E92 with carbon roof and it looks and sounds amazing.

Prices do vary for the E92 anywhere 15k up from what I see.

I've always fancied a 996 if you fancy a deal ?

Loved mine. Simple exhaust mod and it sounded incredible.

That engine and the DCT box are a great match. Steering feel I found great on decent super sports. Mine had EDC too which I'd definitely seek out. Car didn't lack torque at all in my opinion and was geared beautifully.

Crap on fuel..

Had a few laps at Brands in a friend's car. It was a lot of fun in M mode, but still lacked the drama of the 911 IMO. They're great cars, but i wouldn't swap for a Porsche as would likely want to be back in one at somepoint.

That's certainly put me on the spot. Could you tell me a bit about your M3 as it stands I do fancy the change.

E92 M3

It's a 58 Plate with 85k miles, not currently advertised for sale.
Full service history, mostly BMW dealer.
Rod bearings replaced last year.
Throttle actuators done under BMW warranty.
Good spec with DCT gearbox, EDC suspension, CIC Idrive etc.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back