Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 carrera 4gts manual or pdk ?

mw1967

Hi guys/gals. I am looking to get myself a carrera 4 gts. I have done some enquiries and am looking for some advice. Do people think a manual would be the way to go for the resale value ? Or pdk for the speed ?

what would you prefer? can you try both?

This is not "Chalk and Cheese"...there are so many factors that affect residuals.

One thing is for sure...buying new, the £7k or so premium for PDK disappears in a heartbeat.

Will manuals ever become more expensive because there are fewer numbers?
Not in my opinion.
There are more PDKs because they are more popular than manuals NOT because Porsche limited the amount to be built.

There is some evidence that at the moment, the N/A 2015 models are holding up better than the early turbo 991.2 GTS........but time will tell whether this is temporary or lasting.

Personally, I would just buy the car you want and don't worry about it
:thumb:

Yeah I guess I could try and test drive both. I suppose there is no 'wrong" choice here it's personal preference. I do think manual would be more fun to drive and I kind of hope that will make them worth a little more further down the line.... :?:

Late NA manual. You can't go wrong :thumb: Time will tell on the NA v the turbo, but the NA has the lot including the soundtrack.

So far the 991.2 GTS values for PDK and manual seem to be the same, other factors like mileage and spec more important. Theories abound about what becomes retains more value in the future, a popular one being there are fewer manuals and for weekend cars bought by enthusiasts, they'll be what they want. Perhaps, but the PDK is also an amazing piece of engineering that is fun to use too. Points to getting what you prefer really.

MJA911 said:
So far the 991.2 GTS values for PDK and manual seem to be the same, other factors like mileage and spec more important. Theories abound about what becomes retains more value in the future, a popular one being there are fewer manuals and for weekend cars bought by enthusiasts, they'll be what they want. Perhaps, but the PDK is also an amazing piece of engineering that is fun to use too. Points to getting what you prefer really.

Same goes for 997s/996s too........although the Tippi box is more of a "marmite choice" and the numbers are less.

OP........the fact of life in Britain is that low mileage cars have always commanded a premium.

If you intend doing 10k a year in the car, don't buy a low miler as come trade in time, you'll have your pants pulled down.

These cars are so well made that the price difference between a 10k and 25k examples do not warrant the premium IMHO...but lots of people disagree with this and are willing to pay it.

Thanks for the advice guys. Test drove a PDK the other day. First time driving a 911 for me. Hugely disappointed ... loads of road noise inside. Twitchy and felt like an expensive go-kart to be fair. Is this normal ?

mw1967 said:
Thanks for the advice guys. Test drove a PDK the other day. First time driving a 911 for me. Hugely disappointed ... loads of road noise inside. Twitchy and felt like an expensive go-kart to be fair. Is this normal ?

Could be many contributing factors here, not least of which what it is that you are comparing your initial 911 driving experience against. Don't forget, 911's are rear wheel drive and all the weight is at the back, even the 4wd variants are not permanent 4wd. Whose 911 was it and what condition were the tyres in?

mw1967 said:

Yes.

Think of the tyre contact patches. You'll never get away from the road noise. Turn the radio up a bit. Drowns out the Mrs' moaning too :thumb:

mw1967 said:

which car have you come from to find the 911 hugely disappointing? :dont know:

TurboSandGT4 said:
mw1967 said:

which car have you come from to find the 911 hugely disappointing? :dont know:
maybe this? :)
1200px-Bugatti_Divo%2C_GIMS_2019%2C_Le_Grand-Saconnex_%28GIMS0029%29.jpg

:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

TurbosandsGT4 - Currently have an M6 which is also rear wheel drive but obviously far different in size, shape and over all feel. I wasn't expecting the road noise to be so apparent considering lots of people use the 911 as an everyday car. For me it felt as it belongs on a track but that's just my opinion. I did find the overall build quality and finishes very nice though. Perhaps a panamera would suit me better.

mw1967 said:
........ Perhaps a panamera would suit me better.

:yeah: I think you'd be pleasantly surprised.

Comparing your current luxobarge to a sports car was never going to work.

Good Luck :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back