Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sport Mode Failure on Porsche Cayenne Turbo S 2009 957

Dan Thomas

Dear Members,
I have an unsolved mystery with my 2009 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, 957 and I need an urgent solution.
When I turn on the engine and select the sport mode, the selector light comes on and the suspension goes down and the Porsche flies like a rocket, but driving about half a km the sport mode switches off alone and a sign of FAILURE SPORT MODE appears in the dash then the car returns to normal drive. Now, if I stop and turn off the engine and start it again, the sport mode once again is activated but driving a few blocks, it is deactivated alone. I currently live in Santiago, CHILE. I took the car to Porsche Dealer service in Santiago and they told me that the problem is a defective air suspension selector (SWITCH) and that it should be replaced, bearing in mind that no code has appeard on the scanner, so they did at an expensive price. Now, with the new selector, the problem remains the same. Once again I am back to the dealer. No new scanner codes appeared, so this time they told me that the problem lays in the suspension module and need to be replaced in which they did at also a very costly price. After replacing the suspension module I drove my car with the sport mode on and it only took few blocks before the sport mode disconnected alone and the (Failure Sport Mode) sign appeared once again. No mechanic in Chile seems to know the problem and the Porsche Dealer keeps on only guessing on my expences I do not know where else to go except seeking help to this mystery.
I really trust that you people can help me with this problem ASAP.
PS: Please bear in mind that the rest of the suspension level switch is working normal.

Dan Thomas

MarkGolf said:
Does your car have PDCC?

Does the failure occur on cornering?

Is there a pattern to when it occurs?

Since it is Turbo S I believe it has PDCC.
The failure occurs when I am driving stright and accelerating on sport mode.

Umm, really need codes from a good code reader, some readers can't read all of the modules the cayenne has. I found that out when I was looking into an issue with my PDCC.

Anyway, I would suspect an acceleration sensor, you really need to get a diagnostic tool plugged in and watch the live values of things like level and accel sensors.

Check the connectors, I believe you have an accel sensor on the left front shock and the other is in the boot under the right side floor panel. A diag tool will save you checking these as you will see numbers bouncing around while you move.

MarkGolf said:
Umm, really need codes from a good code reader, some readers can't read all of the modules the cayenne has. I found that out when I was looking into an issue with my PDCC.

Anyway, I would suspect an acceleration sensor, you really need to get a diagnostic tool plugged in and watch the live values of things like level and accel sensors.

Check the connectors, I believe you have an accel sensor on the left front shock and the other is in the boot under the right side floor panel. A diag tool will save you checking these as you will see numbers bouncing around while you move.

Attachments

• 20200219_143737_202.jpg
    20200219_143737_202.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6,068
Dan Thomas said:
MarkGolf said:

Attachments

• 20200112_132206_212.jpg
    20200112_132206_212.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6,063
Dan Thomas said:
Dan Thomas said:
MarkGolf said:

I am sure that the Porsche dealer in Santiago has the best code reader in Chile but no codes has never appeared related to my problem. However, by all means I will check the accel sensors.

As per your PM,s i said i would answer here ..

The suspension and the PDCC system are separate items.

PDCC and you will have a fault code ... often RA pressure sensor .. the warning message will be a Chassis failure one and not a Sports failure .

So logically the fault is to do with the air suspension .. if no codes then a tester needs to be connected , the car needs to be driven with a second person looking at the pressure values for each strut ..

Looking at acc sensor readings and compressor readings .

A leak in the system would be obvious as after it is left over night one corner of the car would be lower so i dont think its a leak .

The car sees a fault .. if only for a millisecond and shuts the system down , turning off the ignition and then continuing just means the car will drive normally until it see the fault again .. it will then shut it down again ... it's a reset of the system .

This could well be a wiring short circuit or a sensor fault , it could even be a worn compressor that cant keep the air pressure high enough .. it's going to be difficult to find if there really are no fault codes .

A fault that happens for a split second in a certain condition that leaves no fault codes is the nightmare scenario for any of us mechanics .

im dubious about replacing the switch pack but replacing the control unit makes sense to me as it's a possible fault .

in short .. many test drives with 2 people and one watching the tester and checking the values of all the air suspension components is what i would be doing .

You need to confirm with the OPC that 100 % there is no fault code as any code points us in a direction .

Dan Thomas said:
MarkGolf said:
Does your car have PDCC?

Does the failure occur on cornering?

Is there a pattern to when it occurs?

Since it is Turbo S I believe it has PDCC.
The failure occurs when I am driving stright and accelerating on sport mode.

I confirm. yes my car has PDCC.
Please excuse the ignorance but what is the use of PDCC because I never used it.

PDCC ... Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control ..

The roll bar is activated on each corner independently unlike a straight roll bar .. each corner of the car can be stiffened in the event of cornering to keep the car in an upright position when cornering .

In short the roll bar is 2 separate bars and each corner can be stiffened to stop roll .

deMort said:
PDCC ... Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control ..

The roll bar is activated on each corner independently unlike a straight roll bar .. each corner of the car can be stiffened in the event of cornering to keep the car in an upright position when cornering .

In short the roll bar is 2 separate bars and each corner can be stiffened to stop roll .

Hi,
The PDCC is used during normal street driving or in other circumstances such as during racing or off road??

MarkGolf said:

I am sorry for my ignorance. The last photo is the old suspension selector switch that was replaced on my car. It doesn't appear that my car have PDCC.

Attachments

• 20200226_072720_228.jpg
    20200226_072720_228.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5,932
PDCC is continually active .. it can't be switched off and as such there is no button for it .. it works in the background so you have no knowledge of it as a driver .

To see if your car has it then open the bonnet .. look on the n/s/f ( left side ) and under the plastic panel there .. you should have a bottle for the Power steering fluid and a second bottle for the PDCC .. if unsure take a photo of that area and post it ... i can then say one way or the other but i'm pretty sure your car has it fitted .

Either way if you have no fault codes for PDCC pressure faults then this is NOT the problem .

As per previous post .. this is how the garage needs to proceed in my humble opinion .

deMort said:
PDCC is continually active .. it can't be switched off and as such there is no button for it .. it works in the background so you have no knowledge of it as a driver .

To see if your car has it then open the bonnet .. look on the n/s/f ( left side ) and under the plastic panel there .. you should have a bottle for the Power steering fluid and a second bottle for the PDCC .. if unsure take a photo of that area and post it ... i can then say one way or the other but i'm pretty sure your car has it fitted .

Either way if you have no fault codes for PDCC pressure faults then this is NOT the problem .

As per previous post .. this is how the garage needs to proceed in my humble opinion .[/quote

When you talk about the front acceleration sensor do you refer to the driver side???
Now I beleive that the rear acceleration sensor is located in the boot right side. Please correct me if I am Wrong.
Regards

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back