Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PCCB Or Steels - which to go for?

Flatout

Hi

I've read a number of posts suggesting that Ceramics are not the best especially if track use will form part of car use.

My guess is ceramics will last longer but will cost much more to replace - question is does the cost offset ie say 4/5 sets of steels for every 1 set of ceramic discs? Does pad compound matter between steels and ceramics.

Would be fab to hear from those who have had both or indeed chosen to go one way or another..

Thanks
Rich

They look and feel absolutely amazing and last forever (Unless you track the car) personally if you're not going to track the car it's a no brainier. If you are it's a different matter.

In addition to the looks, the complete lack of any brake dust for your average enthusiast is another reason. Presuming your talking a new car without track use, you won't need to replace them (IMHO).

My rears will need replacing soon, but because of that I got a huge discount on the car. I say soon, probably about 5 years! There are other options other than replacement (around 1300 a corner) from a supplier in Germany. These would be indistinguishable from the originals with a tiny difference in thickness (according to Said manufacturer)

In summary steels v Ceramics is night versus day, however track use (according to all those in the know, is a big problem) this would be bourne out by mine as an ex press car with low miles but more wear than there should be on the ceramics.

There are however other options for new replacement at a fraction of the quoted OPC prices (and close to steels). Pm if you need to :thumb:

PCCB. Yellow callipers will give you instant hero status. And loads of wimmin will want to ride you. Probably.

What car?

Norfolk & Idea said:
PCCB. Yellow callipers will give you instant hero status. And loads of wimmin will want to ride you. Probably.

:yeah:

:grin:

I`d just like to point out that standard brake discs on all cars are cast iron and NOT steel for the millionth time :pc:

Oh, and when I was making the "original ceramic brake discs" for Nigel Mansells Williams Formula 1 cars they were aluminium rotors coated with ceramic and we cut them with diamonds from De Beers :thumbs:

But I won`t as that would make me look like a nerd :floor:

The discs for the Lotus Carlton were also a bitch to machine, but that is another story :hand:

You can always buy a car with PCCB's and then change them over to 'cast iron' discs and Pagid track pads.
You'll still have the yellow calipers so wimmin won't know the difference :thumb:

easternjets said:
You can always buy a car with PCCB's and then change them over to 'cast iron' discs and Pagid track pads.
You'll still have the yellow calipers so wimmin won't know the difference :thumb:

:grin:

Flatout said:
Senoj said:
What car?
991.1 or .2 GT3

the ceramics will last longer on the road but not on the track, will also need more careful heat management and probably earlier than normal pad swaps. so really depends how much track time you intend to do. Actual performance is marginal I think you will find and some prefer the feel of the " iron" set up.

there is a weight advantage to consider though.

personally steel brakes all day long for a track day car.

You will also pay a premium for PCCB over steels, hard to say how much that will be as not many cars on the market at the mo, but perhaps £3-4K?? As others have said makes very little difference to real world driving, and the steels offer more than enough for 99% of drivers. There is the brake dust 'issue' , depends if it bothers you.

OP have you looked at any cars yet?

Thanks all for the comments. It's apparently clear many prefer steels to PCCB so won't be bothered if I land one with or one without.

mankers said:

OP have you looked at any cars yet?
. Looked at a few but yet to find the right spec for my budget... Not in a big rush but ideally need to be in a car my April/May

I would say that if you are going to track the car you must get PCCB's. Standard discs, in my experience are pretty hopeless unless you go for an expensive track focused disc and pad set up with braided hoses etc.
The fade on my car with std discs after 2 laps rendered them virtually useless!
As with everything in life you get what you pay for.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PC Saros
Back