Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Windscreen Replacement - a cautionary tale and help needed..

Avro

The car is now in the body shop for its much awaited paint / body restoration. I'm using the opportunity to replace the chipped windscreen under the Insurance.

The windscreen repair/ replacement is backed off to Autoglass who agreed to remove the screen prior to repaint, then refit afterwards.

Autoglass noted I would have to pay the excess which is £75 prior to replacement.

The engineer duly arrived, removed the glass and said Autoglass would be in touch. I got a phone call later in the day from them asking for payment of £1150! :eek:

Apparently the total replecement bill is approx £1600, my Insurance covers £500 of that less £75 excess meaning I have to stump up the difference. :x

I rang Porsche Wilmslow who confirmed a cost of £588 + VAT for a genuine screen. I doubt Autoglass are fitting genuine screens so how do they arrive at a cost of £1600? Is this the Porsche owners tax? Needless to say I told them to bugxer off and I would sort it myself.

So, be aware if claiming on your Insurance, check your cover - or you may get a hefty bill.

That said can anyone recommend pattern windscreen manufacturers, or someone that can help with replecement (Cheshire area) - I'm in the market for one?

Hi

There are a lot of windscreen related threads to read. Most of them quite long. I will give the first piece of advice.

Don't let Autoglass do the job.

The only way it might be possible to let them is if it is a highly experienced guy who had done many 993's before, uses all the original Porsche parts required, and has a friend with him to help.

So basically don't let them do it.

Berni

I did something similar.....
I had the full body restoration at Ninemeister, and chose to replace the chipped glass at the same time, and used the Insurance.

Note: I called the Insurance first and was advised the cost would be the excess only. Mitigation for getting 9m to do the work was very valid - I had a stone break the screen and said I was taking the opportunity to get some more work done while the car was in for this being fixed :bandit:

9m managed this for me - I simply had a screen delivered to 9m and the guys at 9m removed the old one, and then fitted the new one at the end and I just paid the £75 excess (I did pay 9m a nominal £150 or so for the removal and fitting - just didn't want AutoGlass doing it).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back