Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Should i buy this 981 Cayman?

PR94

Hi,

I am in the market for a Cayman and have a budget of around £22500.

I have mainly been looking at 987.2s as i feel there are plenty of decent cars available for my budget.

However, this 981 is available close to were i live so i had a look at it today and its in great condition. Obviously the car is cheap due to the mileage.

LINK EXPIRED

I prefer the styling of the 981's hence the appeal of this car but i guess my question is, will the mileage be a problem? What considerations do i need to make? ect.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this will be my first venture into the Porsche market.

Many Thanks

Paul

Mileage isn't the end of the world, condition and upkeep is more important. Do you intend to keep forever or if not, how long would it take you to get it to 100k? There's a common misconception that Pork falls apart at this distance.

It does look in good condition, but I'd personally go 987.2 S and get the bigger engine with a bit more poke.

I'd be doing your research on the seller, they've come up on here in the past I do believe.

Thanks for the information. I will take a look at the 987.2S aswell.

It would be mainly used as a weekend car so would probably add about 5000 miles a year and will probably own for 2-4 years before wanting an upgrade.

I am also thinking about getting the car sent to Porsche for the 111 point check and then get a 2 year warranty for peace of mind. This would still fit into my budget.

As the link is now broken its a 63 plate 981 Cayman in silver with 71000 miles. Priced at £20500 at EH. It has PDK, 20" alloys, heated leather seats, Park sensors front and rear, bose, cruise. Not sure what out of that is standard. It's also had all services done at OPC.

Thanks again for your help.

Paul

If you prefer the looks of the 981 you wont find many within your budget for a while so it's surely worth viewing this one.

71k miles in 7 years is a lot for a Porsche but if it was a 12 year old car you probably wouldn't be asking the question.

As you're looking to add miles to the car you'd need to factor in the likely mileage when you come to sell it although depreciation on a c£20k Porsche will never be as depressing as on an ordinary car. During your tenure you'll have great fun so I wouldn't let that put you off.

NB: The warranty that comes with a dealer purchase will cover you for the 90 days that you need to own the car before going for the Porsche Warranty and should cover you if anything comes up on the 111 point check.

Good Luck and :welcome: to 911uk

981 is the superior car imho but the budget limits what you can buy so i would suggest a 987 gen 2.

Both are great cars although the Boxster is my personal favourite .

There are no set problems with either car but PDK oil leaks are a possible .

High mileage 981 or a lower mileage 987 G2 .. the latter is what i think is best .

Bid him in the nuts on the high miles 981. Far better car and a complete package.

Most will be shaking like a shitting dog if they step in to buy a high miles Porsche when at this generation there is nothing to worry about :thumb:

Zingari said:
Bid him in the nuts on the high miles 981. Far better car and a complete package.

Most will be shaking like a shitting dog if they step in to buy a high miles Porsche when at this generation there is nothing to worry about :thumb:

I think that sums it up perfectly to be honest :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LB_85
Back