Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Interesting Articles: Walter Wolf's Road-Going 935

nice,

if you like 935 you will like this story too

77szymon said:

Thanks :thumb: Enjoyed that too! Motorsport always seems to have its fair share of 'interesting' characters, though the Whittington Bros were probably more 'interesting' than most.

Back to the 935 - thankfully there's quite a lot of footage of the racing but I love the first few seconds of this video of a 935 being driven at PEC and even though it's only a replica, I'd love to have it in the garage. The rest of the video is meh, with some naff music that's bloody annoying when all you want to hear is the car (as other YTs commented) but the first few seconds after start-up....lovely

:envy:

Awesome cars. Probably my favourite race car of all time.
I'll take an Apple liveried one please. :cloud9:

The BMW M1 doesn't sound half bad either.

https://youtu.be/m5BwSkSKcm4

I've always loved this pic for some reason. Just captures a bygone era where things seemed less corporate. I'm sure they were still corporate as it was still all about winning, but from the outside at least, it looked more 'fun".
Obviously it isn't during a race as the stands are empty and there are people milling about willy-nilly but it just looks like a fun time.

PS. Much as I'd love a drive of a one anywhere at all, it's a bit of a waste at the PEC. I bet he didn't get out of 2nd gear. If Porsche knew that was coming down for the day they could have at least took it around Silverstone proper. :wink:

Marky911 said:
Just captures a bygone era where things seemed less corporate. I'm sure they were still corporate as it was still all about winning, but from the outside at least, it looked more 'fun"

I think you're right - like all things, more corporate money, meant more focus on running racing as a business, which might have made it more 'professional' but something was lost in the process both for drivers and spectators. :nooo:

Marky911 said:
PS. Much as I'd love a drive of a one anywhere at all, it's a bit of a waste at the PEC. I bet he didn't get out of 2nd gear. If Porsche knew that was coming down for the day they could have at least took it around Silverstone proper. :wink:

Yeah, PEC is more like a sprint course for a car like the 935 as it can't stretch it's legs.

Aside from Le Man's, my fantasy drive would be around the 'ring, early morning, mist floating through the trees, no traffic - just me and the car. Epic.

Never happen but thankfully dreaming costs nothing :)

77szymon said:
nice,

I have just fallen into the mother of all Wikipedia wormholes trying to find everything about the Whittington brothers, and the many other US racing drivers of this era who funded their racing activities through marijuana smuggling.

Thanks! (I think...)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back