Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Both trunks a bit damp living outside in all this rain...

Anyone take a stab at why the inside of my trunks are a bit damp. Slight bit of mould on the bloody carpets. Anything to look out for?

Seals seem ok to the untrained eye, wish I had a double garage..,. Zwift Turbo (indoor cycling rig) on one side, my car on the other.

Drain holes are usually the prime suspect in leaks like that.

Problem with double garages is they end up full of lawn mowers, bicycles etc!

Cheers guys, I thought that because I had a hardtop I had nothing to worry about with the drain holes?!

I will order that tool though, thanks!

Not sure about the rear panels, but water can certainly find a way in from the scuttle under the windscreen.

I'll check the drain holes. Hoping our man demort comes in re. the rear drain holes.

I have some silica crystals in the cabin. These reusable sacks look interesting, cheers!

This time of year and the cars do start to get a bit damp .. normal usage and a working A/C cut back a bit on the amount ..

if you think about it we are getting into cars with damp feet .. often clothing if is been raining and the moisture stays in the car without a good A/C.

You car is i think parked outside and not used very much .. it will get damp without an actual leak .

Front bonnet area .. you have the rubber seal but behind this in the battery area it will be continuously wet .. condensation i expect is why yours is damp .

The weather we have had for the last 2 months has been unusual .. trust me as a biker i know when it rains more than usual and it certainly has been as of late .

I had the interiors out of 2 cars last week to dry out .. one of which is a forum member and we have another one this week that we have yet to start on .

An actual leak in this weather and it wouldn't be damp it would be flooded i feel .

there are a few grommets in the rear section of the bulkhead between battery area and bonnet area .. possible one is not sealing properly .

Boot .. well .. if you have 4 lambda sensors on your car then the grommets for these might be loose but again i feel it might just be down to lack of use and the shear amount of rain recently .

hard top covers the rear drains so they won't be an issue but i think .. and i need to check that part of the ctl is still exposed ( unsure without looking ).. there is a drain there that could technically over flow into the rear drains ...

not a problem unless these are blocked .. again i would expect a lot of water in the car if anything to do with the rear drains .

ill have a look when i next see your car .

For anyone else .. Boxster rear drains .. trust me when i say a single leaf and a heavy downpour and your car will flood ..

If on the passengers side then the alarm control unit is there .. HUGE problems if that gets wet .. check them regularly guys !!!!!

Anyone got any pics of where the drainholes are situated? and how to access them .......

Some images below ..

One shows the position you need to put the roof in ( service position ) .. you look at the inside and side to side .. there is a drainage channel .. push it down out of the clips each side .

The roof cables each side , twist and pull off the top ball joint , this will allow you to raise the glass section... image shows bottom ball joint but thats for a 986 , i couldn't find an image showing the top one so this is just to show you the tension cable ball joints .

Basically it's the top tension cable ball joint you pull off .

There is a strap which is undone from the n/s of the car , velcroed in place .. you hook this over the front n/s corner of the roof to hold the glass upwards .

Raise the cover hanging down and fold it over the glass ... you'll understand the above when you look basically .

You now have full access to the rear drains .

I use an airline to blow down them but basically any leaves in that tub area Must be removed .

Front drains are either side of the battery .. image is not correct for your car but the location is ..

If no OCD then push the grommets down and out of the car .. a nice big hole which will never block is what you are left with .

If Ocd then push any dirt through them and monitor often .

Images are all off the net and one is LHD .. it shows what's needed though .

Attachments

• drainage_hose_1_zpsvftyzbym_126.jpg
    drainage_hose_1_zpsvftyzbym_126.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 8,401
  • drains_202.jpg
    drains_202.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 8,401
  • porsche_boxster_roof_drain_block_water_400x266_674.jpg
    porsche_boxster_roof_drain_block_water_400x266_674.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 8,401
Eternally in your debt, mate :worship:

You are correct, I've driven the car maybe 10 times since I bought it in June, shameful I know. I'll make more of an effort this year I promise.

As you say, this winter has been EXTREMELY wet, in fact I almost crashed the family wagon returning from Eastbourne last weekend. Hit what only can be described as a lake on the A21 at over 80. Brown trousers is not the word.

Car last moved in November and I must say, there is a lot of condensation on the underneath of both bonnet covers.

So I don't have any of the soft-top gubbins, guessing the hardtop needs to be moved to access the rear drainage holes?! Guess I should have checked them as part of going permanently hardtop. You guys kept the car indoors didn't you so none of this was an issue and obviously your customers actually used it.

Swapped the racing batt out last week, the batt area, as you say, was very wet. So all sounds like no leak, just conditions and lack of use. Will of course check the drainage holes though. The cabin is dry all bar the bloody door trim carpets, but we've already discussed that.

P.s. checked the rear demister fuse, looks fine. So I'm confused as to why the thing isn't working. It's ballache manually demisting past the buckets, roll hoops and their plastic trims.

HATE this time of year!

@ The return of Marty Wild

It never used to have a problem with the rear drains and any leak in a car left outside for that period of time in this weather and it will be inches deep in water.

it's just condensation i'm afraid .. now for the bad part .. its damp .. you will start to get mould .. trust me i've seen it plenty of times with damp cars that are not used .

carpets in these are a giant sponge .. i think with the light weight theme you might want to think about removing them all inside the car then making up a board for your feet on the drivers side .

boot and bonnet carpets again can go .. you don't need them .

if the hardtop is plugged in correctly then i need to investigate the fault .. volt meter time .. i'll add it to the list but we may run out of daylight ;)

@ madalaa

Don't forget i work for the garage you used to bring your 993 to but they charge .. Brighton is not a million miles away if you wanted to drop by one weekend and i'll show you the drains ... it's free as i don't charge for advice. :)

Thanks Iian ...... I am now resident on the I.O.W. so not an easy option but if I am ever in the neighbourhood ....... :) :thumb:

I have considered losing the boot carpets, but then, I figure they weigh ***** all. May lose the back one, they're is a touch of mould in both boots at the moment annoyingly.

Might try and get some custom carpeting for the engine surrounds, that way saving weight and releasing sound.

Rear demister is a proper bummer in its current state. Can't reverse the car off the bloody drive without major missions.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartynT
Back