Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rear Upper control arms (dog bones)...

Robertb

Yas Marina
I had an MOT advisory a while ago that an upper control arm bush was perished so I changed the arm for a CTE one.
On advice of Chris at Center Gravity he said they should all be changed to be the same so I got three more CTE arms.
I started on the other side, but when I removed one old control arm the new one was about 1mm out of alignment so I could not get the bolt through.
If I was to remove the second old one as well, would that allow some movement in the suspension to be able to get them both lined up, or is it likely to be faulty?

In any case, whilst there was some evidence of delamination, there was no sign of any play in the bush, so is it a waste of time/money anyway?

All i can say is that in 15 years i have never changed one of these .. they may look in poor condition but if no actual play then there is nothing wrong with them imho ... i may be wrong but no play in my book means no problem .

I'm not going to comment on what other garages say .. but if C of G say they need replacing then who am i to argue .

With any bush / arm replacement then you often have to slacken other arms to get the bolt in ... can't say for sure as i said .. i've never replaced one .

Cheers... that's good to know. To be fair CG did point out the delamination in the others but said to either put the old one back or change the others. So I've put the old one back on for the time being.

You should be able to move the complete hub assembly to aid alignment, might be a little stiff but if so just use a lever. As Demort say, these arms are usually fine.

So, as you say, the hub assembly can just be pulled around a few mm to aid fitment. Chris at CG fitted them.

They are a part that work with the rubber bush being under tension, so he loose-fitted them first and torqued them up having raised the hub into the position it would be with the wheels on the ground.

Interestingly, whilst they looked OK albeit a bit dog-eared, Chris tested their operation and found they were not responding particularly well, not returning back to position and providing little lateral control.

As I had the new ones anyway, Chris replaced them and the difference is quite surprising- feels more supple and 'damped', quieter over bumps.

Very easy and relatively cheap to swap, so well worth considering as part of any suspension refresh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back