Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyre sensitive??

Parsley

Any experience with tyre mismatching, are the 996 known for liking s certain brand of tyre i.e. Michelin, pirelli etc. Any experience with Continental or Maxxis?

Just removed the 19"s and put the 997 wheels on and what a transformation looks wise. What a transformation driving as well. Feels horrid. Conti front and Maxxis rear. They came on the rims and are nearly new. Any thoughts.

Cheers.

EGTE said:
Avoid Pirellis :D

Ok will do. I had p zeros on my Audi and liked them, I take it they don't suit the 911?

probably more to do with the different sizes the tyres that the brands, going to feel different changing up to wider 19s.

asterix_the_gaul said:
probably more to do with the different sizes the tyres that the brands, going to feel different changing up to wider 19s.

I've gone from 19' down the 18's.

I had hard old unbalanced tyres on my car initially - 17s for what it matters. They were utterly horrendous, putting a new set of 18s with decent tyres transformed the handling. Biggest improvement was the high speed stability, where there previously was none it's now as solid as a rock at speed.

So my advice would be to check and double check the date stamps on the tyres, it's possible they're old and hard even if they still have decent tread.

Parsley said:
Any experience with tyre mismatching, are the 996 known for liking s certain brand of tyre i.e. Michelin, pirelli etc. Any experience with Continental or Maxxis?

Just removed the 19"s and put the 997 wheels on and what a transformation looks wise. What a transformation driving as well. Feels horrid. Conti front and Maxxis rear. They came on the rims and are nearly new. Any thoughts.

I had standard 18" wheels on my 996 and was always happy with PZeros.

I can't imagine that any 19" or 997 wheels would suit the car as well as standard fitments, regardless of tyre brand but mixing brands would make the situation even worse.

As a start I'd take off the worst worn pair and fit 4 the same.

Thanks for the feedback guys. All good points. Some cars are not particularly sensitive to tyre choice. It seems the 996 perhaps is.

Parsley said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. All good points. Some cars are not particularly sensitive to tyre choice. It seems the 996 perhaps is.

Never driven a car that wasn't sensitive to tyre choice, but the ridiculous weight distribution and high power levels of a 911 probably make for an interesting experience when you're on the wrong tyre.

I don't think 996's are overly sensitive to tyre choice... over 120k miles, I've run Conti C2's, PS2's, PS4's and PZeros at one time or another, often with different models of tyre front to rear.

The only tyre I never went back to was the PZero. Poor grip and a set of rears lasted less than 3k miles.

Much more sensitive to tyre pressures though.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back