Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.2 Carrera 4S MPG

cinders

Trainee
Hi Guys,

Please don't shoot me down, but I was wondering what sort of MPG you get with conservative driving? I know this isn't really a question a Porsche owner should be asking but...

I currently own a 2019 Macan S. It's my first Porsche. It's a nice car, but not really what I was hoping for. It's too refined, too smooth, doesn't make a sporty sound and I'm very surprised by the mpg I'm getting.

I'm using Shell V-Power 99 octane. If I drive the car very conservatively I'm managing at the very most 22mpg. If I gun it everywhere, around 15mpg. I honestly thought I'd get around 30mpg, I was quite suprised I can only manage 22mpg driving it carefully. I'm getting older now so don't really drive everywhere like the world is going to end.

Anyway the Macan must go so I'm considering a 2016/2017 991.2 Carrera 4S. Online it says combined mpg of around 35mpg. Am I dreaming?

Thanks,
Cinders.

P.S. I'm assuming you can fit a child-seat in the back?

I'd have thought high 20s up to low/mid 30s would be achievable on a decent run, given I can achieve similar in my 996 4S, and I would expect a turbo DFI to be more economical. Combined figure is likely to be too high as it assumes in the mix some city driving on stop-start where it uses no fuel at all.

Yes you could fit a forward-facing child seat in the back.

Hi Cinders, it's hard to say exactly, 'cause as usual mpg depends on so many factors but since owning my 991.1 4S, I've been genuinely staggered by the fuel economy that's possible - my last car needed a tanker behind it but the 4S has been a revelation.

I'd anticipated and average of about 22 - 25, with maybe 30ish on a run but no.....it can do far, far better in everyday driving.

For comparison, as I'm now retired most of my driving is either touring (say 50-60% Motorway then A/B roads) with some 'smile time' and the occasional blast to blow the cobwebs away.

Like you, I also use Shell V-Power 99.

On a recent trip to Scotland, the car returned an indicated AVG 40mpg through the 50mph sections of the M6 upgrade, after a comfort stop I reset and it was about 37mpg for the remainder of the journey and only dropped as low as AVG 17mpg on a run over the highland mountains.

BTW: I hate Stop-Start, so tend to switch the bloody thing off.

Bearing in mind the 991.2 is newer, has the slightly smaller 3.0 turbo engine and on paper is mean't to do better on fuel than mine, it should be miles better than your Macan.

I'm biased of course but if you want a great sound, handling and comfort in one package - I'd recommend a late 991.1 model over an early 991.2 - IMHO it will serve you better in many areas and with PSE the N/A 3.8 sounds fabulous :thumb:

HTH :)

The 991.1 looks great value as well, at the moment, to the point that they are the same or less than late 997s

Hey Buddy,

Thanks for the reply, that's the answer I'm looking for.

To be honest, my boy racing days are over I only just returned to the UK after living abroad for 20 years. I really missed my sports cars - so bought the Macan (as i have a wife and 5 year old)

For the past two months I've been driving it very sensibly, I've really lost all ambition to speed on roads here (especially with so many cameras, etc) or drive like an idiot. I'm planning to start doing track days in spring so can save that for the track.

I just appreciate driving a nice car, that if I did need to put my foot down, I could... That's why the Macan must go, 20mpg for driving sensibly, just isn't worth it. :)

I'm definitely looking for the 991.2 - it will do me fine and if I can manage 30+ mpg for normal day to day driving, I'll be over the moon. According to my bad maths - even 30mpg would give me another 150+ miles from a full tank (where I'm currently getting around 250)

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

cinders said:
Hey Buddy,

Thanks for the reply, that's the answer I'm looking for.

To be honest, my boy racing days are over I only just returned to the UK after living abroad for 20 years. I really missed my sports cars - so bought the Macan (as i have a wife and 5 year old)

For the past two months I've been driving it very sensibly, I've really lost all ambition to speed on roads here (especially with so many cameras, etc) or drive like an idiot. I'm planning to start doing track days in spring so can save that for the track.

I just appreciate driving a nice car, that if I did need to put my foot down, I could... That's why the Macan must go, 20mpg for driving sensibly, just isn't worth it. :)

I'm definitely looking for the 991.2 - it will do me fine and if I can manage 30+ mpg for normal day to day driving, I'll be over the moon. According to my bad maths - even 30mpg would give me another 150+ miles from a full tank (where I'm currently getting around 250)

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

You have to look at this overall as opposed to what is being acheived on certain sections. Some vehicles (sounds like the Mecan is one of them) are particulary poor on fuel.
We had a Discovery sport, by some distance the worst vehicle ever made, that heap of crap was listed as 45-50 mpg combined, it acheived 18-20 on a good day.
The Merc I just snapped up (A class 180D) will acheive what it says on the tin, at least 60 mpg day in day out. Our BMW 1 series is the same, smashes out the mpg.
Porsche wise the 991.1 acheives 23 mpg in real world usage (and thats in steal mode) id suggest the 991.2 is good for a few more :thumb:

Day to day you wont get 30 btw. The figure to look at is the one from new on the fuel computer, i.e every mile its covered since day 1. From the examples above the Merc A class 180D reads 57mpg average over its first 6500 miles. This is the only figure of any relevance on a fuel computer.

My 991.2 Carrera has achieved 28 mpg from new over 13000 miles of varied driving including European trips and local stuff. I guess the 4WD S version would return less.

My Macan S has returned 24 mpg over 9000 milles

I'm surprised you are getting so little from the Macan. Although the best you can hope for with that is low to mid 20's. As regards the 991.2, I get more than I do in the Macan, but not by much. Mid 30's, forget it.

No offence guys but I can't agree with you on this one :)

Fuel economy discussions on sports car forums are always a contentious subject - simply because most sports cars aren't driven in a conservative way but the OP (cinders) asked what mpg might be achievable in a 991.2 4S with 'conservative' driving.

The answer will vary greatly, esp if he uses the car to commute or does 5 miles of city driving before getting to an A-road/motorway but if on the other hand (like me) he only has to go 1/4 of a mile to an A-road or 1.5 to get on a motorway then with a 'conservative' driving style I believe a 991.2 would easily be capable of a c30mpg AVG.

I don't know what your journeys consist of, or your everyday driving styles but your mpg doesn't mean that's all the car is capable of and unlike some cars, that just give poor fuel economy all the time, the engineering of the 991.1 and 991.2, greatly improved its potential for good fuel economy.

Sponge: Given that many 911s tend to be driven hard, maybe for a short blast on a Sunday morning, or used to commute and then given a short blast, whatever the trip computer of a car on sale indicates, it's irrelevant because all it really tells you is what type of journeys that car made in the past and how hard the previous owner/sales person drove it - not what it's capable of.

My AMGs have been some of the worst road cars I've ever owned regarding fuel economy but I expected that when I bought 'em and whether you drove them hard or not they were always bad - by comparison the 991.1 4S has been a revelation and it achieves excellent fuel economy during conservative driving, especially for an N/A flat 6 3.8 - without blasting it, I often get over 30mpg (bearing in mind the circumstances I outlined earlier).

991.2GTS: I don't drive my own car conservatively all the time, so when the road beckons and the opportunity allows, I give the car its head but in answer to the OP, I fully expect he will get much better economy with a turbo 3.0 991.2 than with his Macan and provided his journey patterns are somewhat similar to mine and he drives conservatively (like he said), then he should be able to achieve c30mpg AVG in a 991.2 - with Stop-Start (if used) and the 7th speed 'Sailing Function' contributing to that, when driving conditions allow.

Only cinders knows the type of routes he intends to use the car for and can decide whether the bulk of his driving will be conservative or not - all I'm saying is that the car is capable of far better mpg than is being suggested.

911Time said:
No offence guys but I can't agree with you on this one :)

Fuel economy discussions on sports car forums are always a contentious subject - simply because most sports cars aren't driven in a conservative way but the OP (cinders) asked what mpg might be achievable in a 991.2 4S with 'conservative' driving.

The answer will vary greatly, esp if he uses the car to commute or does 5 miles of city driving before getting to an A-road/motorway but if on the other hand (like me) he only has to go 1/4 of a mile to an A-road or 1.5 to get on a motorway then with a 'conservative' driving style I believe a 991.2 would easily be capable of a c30mpg AVG.

I don't know what your journeys consist of, or your everyday driving styles but your mpg doesn't mean that's all the car is capable of and unlike some cars, that just give poor fuel economy all the time, the engineering of the 991.1 and 991.2, greatly improved its potential for good fuel economy.

Sponge: Given that many 911s tend to be driven hard, maybe for a short blast on a Sunday morning, or used to commute and then given a short blast, whatever the trip computer of a car on sale indicates, it's irrelevant because all it really tells you is what type of journeys that car made in the past and how hard the previous owner/sales person drove it - not what it's capable of.

My AMGs have been some of the worst road cars I've ever owned regarding fuel economy but I expected that when I bought 'em and whether you drove them hard or not they were always bad - by comparison the 991.1 4S has been a revelation and it achieves excellent fuel economy during conservative driving, especially for an N/A flat 6 3.8 - without blasting it, I often get over 30mpg (bearing in mind the circumstances I outlined earlier).

991.2GTS: I don't drive my own car conservatively all the time, so when the road beckons and the opportunity allows, I give the car its head but in answer to the OP, I fully expect he will get much better economy with a turbo 3.0 991.2 than with his Macan and provided his journey patterns are somewhat similar to mine and he drives conservatively (like he said), then he should be able to achieve c30mpg AVG in a 991.2 - with Stop-Start (if used) and the 7th speed 'Sailing Function' contributing to that, when driving conditions allow.

Only cinders knows the type of routes he intends to use the car for and can decide whether the bulk of his driving will be conservative or not - all I'm saying is that the car is capable of far better mpg than is being suggested.

?? Err all the above is irrelevant though, the real world mpg for the car in question (however its driven) will always balance out at low twenty's mpg. Absolutely guaranteed. Every petrol car is the same, diesels get closer.

Whether you get 30 mpg on one journey is irrelevant, you may get 9 mpg on the supermarket run on a cold winters morning. Human nature says a 911 owner will regularly use the performance anyway. Conservative one day, not the next!

I used to run all manner of fuel efficiency courses, SAFED and the like, total waste of time in real world driving, throwing in real world conditions and the nature of the squidgy bit.

911Time said:

Thanks again for all the replies and feeback, it's very helpful.

I live in a small market town and work from home. The only commuting I'm doing at the moment is running my kid to school in a nearby village and picking him up. That's only a 7-8 mile round trip on a b-road sticking to a steady 60mph.

Then there's the odd trip to nearest city which is probably a 20 mile round trip, again on a b-road sticking to a stready 60mph.

I'm doing no motorway driving at all and don't plan to.

Now don't get me wrong, in the summer there will be the odd days when I will definitely love a blast through the twisty roads up in the north york moors - there are some amazing roads up there. I don't care about mpg on those days - on those days it's smiles per gallon. :)

My other idea was to buy an economical A3 TDI for day to day commuting and something a bit more exotic for the weekends.. :)

Thanks again guys, Cinders.

If it were me I'd keep the Maccan, much more useable as an every day car especially with a 5 year old..... I'm thinking Rugby, cricket, swimming, school runs ! Buy a cheap 911 if there is such a thing for blasting over the Moors,

You're alternative is buy a 991 and a used Skoda Yeti 4wd or similar fit a battle bus and use the 911 for weekends ?

As for fuel economy, I can't help with this, but a petrol powered sports car as an every day car ? I'd anticipate low 20's at best ! Maybe a jaunt down the motorway with a prevailing wind and the sail up might see 30's but for school runs and local towns I think your in for a shock ?

I've had my .1 C4s for 12 months now and have covered 8k miles using the car every day for work etc.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the mpg, currently showing an average of 22mpg since I bought it.

Love this car, it's a perfect mix of sports performance and GT, nice and comfy on the drive to work and then an animal (if you fancy it) on the way home!

cinders said:
911Time said:

Thanks again for all the replies and feeback, it's very helpful.

I live in a small market town and work from home. The only commuting I'm doing at the moment is running my kid to school in a nearby village and picking him up. That's only a 7-8 mile round trip on a b-road sticking to a steady 60mph.

Then there's the odd trip to nearest city which is probably a 20 mile round trip, again on a b-road sticking to a stready 60mph.

I'm doing no motorway driving at all and don't plan to.

Now don't get me wrong, in the summer there will be the odd days when I will definitely love a blast through the twisty roads up in the north york moors - there are some amazing roads up there. I don't care about mpg on those days - on those days it's smiles per gallon. :)

My other idea was to buy an economical A3 TDI for day to day commuting and something a bit more exotic for the weekends.. :)

Thanks again guys, Cinders.

Cinders, whatever any of us say on here about our own experiences and opinions of fuel economy, buy the car that makes you happy. It doesn't sound like that's the Macan, so you why not go for the 911?

If I'm reading you right, then if you buy the 991.2 4S you're not going to be bothered if you have to stick twenty quid more fuel in than usual, on the days when you do drive it hard (like a trackday) and whether that actually means that the lifetime average is whatever, only whether the car is capable of more reasonable economy than your Macan on the other 'normal' days, when you drive it in a conservative manner.

In other words, you'll take the rough with the smooth, provided the consumption on your 'conservative' days better the Macan.

If that's what you're hoping for from the 991.2 then I don't think you'll be disappointed. No 911 could be classed as an 'economical' car but the modern cars offer far better economy than you would expect and with all due respect to the Macan, with the 911 you're getting a car that feels far more special and should you choose to do so, is capable of incredible performance when you want or very reasonable economy when driven 'conservatively'.

Buy with your heart but from my experience your head won't be disappointed - enjoy :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back