Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Will It Run ? 50 Year Old Porsche 911

Well it did run and rather well considering it is a DOG in terms of just about everything other than the basic performance of the engine and gearbox, and if you have taken time to understand the reality of the way corrosion by visiting http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=48783 you will well understand that his pointing out SURFACE corrosion issues is no where near understanding the likely issues lying in wait...? That he thinks buying a welder and learning to weld may be the answer to the sort of complexity in trying to build strength back into a corroded shell, seems to hint at a degree of naivety..?

I really do wish him all the best with his intended rebuild and hope he does indeed provide a series of vids of the REALITY involved in such processes, in the hope it will assist others in assessing the real worth of getting involved with such projects and the pitfalls that lie in wait....Having watched him fumble through the initial start up process, I suspect his skills are somewhat limited... In terms of INVESTMENT I don`t fancy his chances of adding value in excess of his restoration costs.. as I suspect the air cooled Porsche market is overheated and none more so that the early pre impact bumper models....?

Would you chance a drive after seeing that :roll:

Sorry, forgot to say thanks for posting :thumb:

I watched this Ratarossa video a few days ago and quite enjoyed it, in fact I`ve seen quite a few of his youtube videos and mostly enjoyed them :grin:
He does some quite good stuff, but not always in the correct way first time round, but that is part of learning right :?:
I reckon he will do a decent restoration on the 911T, but probably not up to some of our standards :judge:

Have now watched a number of his videos on YouTube and quite enjoyed them.

The worrying thing about the Porsche was that he was driving it on the road but due to its age it didn't need an MOT yet the condition was far from sound from what we could see.

Anyone know what he does for a living? Is it just YouTube revenue or does he buy and sell Ferraris? Seems to have had his fair share of exotica over the years, and probably some of mine...

I have also been watching his channel for a while. I like the approach he has, trying to own exotica on a shoe-string (lets me dream - without having to face the ugly reality of money-pits).

As said above, I think that this isnt the project to learn to weld on.....it looks to be a mammoth project. He has only scratched the surface. I also think his idea of a 'rolling restoration' is flawed - it needs completely stripping, taking back to bare-metal, then repairing the corrosion, then rebuilding it.... Having said all of that, I will definitely watch with interest!

aquilesopkarg, for sure we all have to learn, and these days there is the HUGE advantage that is the internet to facilitate the process of education on just about anything. I posted one of many links available that present the possible horrors of old Porsche corrosion earlier in this thread....

As the thing drives, it could so easily be tarted up with chicken wire and filler, the underside splattered with a thick coating underseal and the topsides finished off with a lovely coat of paint and perhaps even a brand new badge on the bonnet... I suspect it would not be too difficult to find a buyer.... ? NOT that I am suggesting this Porsche would suffer such a "restoration," but it can be so difficult to determine the actual quality of repairs on old cars, and all air cooled Porsche are OLD cars.

I think it is great that folk create an accurate photographic record of the processes involved in their cars restoration to become part of their history file.

From his vid I think this chap may just have taken on more than his current skill set seems to be able to cope with... Of course with loads of money it is possible to find skilled craftsmen to restore an air cooled Porsche to a fully roadworthy and enjoyable condition. I have known quite a few folk who have spent more time and money on restorations than the vehicle might be worth, myself included and more than once, but then it is not all about the money... :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back