Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MOT expiry causes cascade of events

isysman

Daytona
Gents,

I forgot to write about this incident that happened to me over Xmas. But it's a warning story for everyone who drives and pays their Tax by DD as I do.

So on the 23rd December I get a letter from DVLA saying that I have been driving my Boxster without Tax since October and there is a fine for £480.

This is BS I think, my car is taxed, I always tax the car when I get home. However as the tax on my Boxster is a lot less than my old car I left it running when I was away. (I usually cancel it as it used to be £55 a month for each both car.

So I check and it turns out my MOT had expired in September. A little annoying as the car had it's 2 year service in Sep and no MOT warning was given (although I know it's up to me to check).

Anyway turns out if your MOT expires the DVLA don't send you a letter, but they do cancel your tax (as I was paying monthly). Furthermore they don't write or even email you to tell you your tax was cancelled. They just do it quietly and leave you to it.

So two days before Xmas £480 fine, 'that'll do nicely'.

so the MOT expired and because you were paying monthly the tax was cancelled as they was no MOT to validate it against

That's correct MOT expired but no letter or email.

Well I am glad I am not alone in the MOT issue, bloody hate no disk. So my other car broke down two weeks ago ,it may or maynot have something to do with filling it with unleaded when its a diesel :eek: :frustrated: anyway it got me 30 miles home before dying. called the AA they wouldn't pick it up as the mot had run out a month earlier . anyway I overcame that issue and after paying £660 to get it sorted and running and MOTed all sorted until I read this thread so a panicked check of my Tax and yes the monthly DD payment is still going out in Jan so phew seems I was more fortunate than Isys . But it still cost me more than him due to my stupid mistake made when tired :nooo: :thumb: So a note to others if you are getting old and forgetful put a reminder in your phones callander . :grin: :thumb:

If you check your mot via the .gov site you can set up a reminder to be emailed or text to you.

isysman said:
Anyway turns out if your MOT expires the DVLA don't send you a letter, but they do cancel your tax (as I was paying monthly). Furthermore they don't write or even email you to tell you your tax was cancelled. They just do it quietly and leave you to it.

That is very odd. I was in the same position in September; forgot to MOT the wife's Mini, but was paying VED by monthly direct debit. The MOT had run out, but the DVLA kept taking the VED direct debit.
Got the Mini MOT'd, nothing happened, no fine.

Perhaps it is a new thing the DVLA are doing?

Winny911 said:
Think positive it's only a fine. not having tax and mot probably would have invalidated your Insurance too

I put it up as a warning for others really. Wouldn't want to see anyone else get stung like this.

I've certainly left my 4S with no MOT for a couple of weeks in the past as it generally sits in the garage. Never had my RFL cancelled.

Robertb said:
If you check your mot via the .gov site you can set up a reminder to be emailed or text to you.

I've done this and it worked in fairness.

Robertb said:
I've certainly left my 4S with no MOT for a couple of weeks in the past as it generally sits in the garage. Never had my RFL cancelled.

Did that period include rolling over to the next month when you DD was due to be taken?

It's also possible that it takes a while to kick in.

I've just been on the .gov MOT checker and set up a reminder,

Thanks for the heads up, the on set of age does render menial tasks far less important,

I use Vehicle Smart to keep track of the cars I look after. Very easy to use, costs peanuts, and you can set up notifications.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back