Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another key fob question

dt4

My key fob stopped operating the central remote locking so I replaced the battery and all was well but only for a couple of weeks when it stopped working again.
Another battery swap and it was fine again for a couple of weeks then I noticed it to take an increasing number of presses and then it stopped again

Thoughts, is it possible that the battery is draining due to a fault or is the fob buggered?
fixable or replacement fob?
my spare fob has no internals (never has had in my ownership) so I dont have a fall back

thanks

Thanks deMort, it saves me from chasing a fix that isnt going to work

I opened the spare fob that has no internals and noticed it had the transponder but not the circuit board, I swapped the circuit board over from the non working fob to the "empty" fob and that is now operating the remote locking. It suggests the transponder to be the faulty part, is this still a dealer job for a new fob?

cheers

That's a little strange as the transponder is not connected electrically to the fob .. its a glass pil .

I think i would try it for a week or two to see if it continues working .. my hunch is a lose contact somewhere and by moving it you have cured it .

A new fob can be coded on by OPC or Indy but the main cost is the actual fob itself .. labour is usually 0.5 hr to have it coded on.

false alarm deMort, it worked for a while and has now packed up so I figure it must be the circuit board in some way

Ok fair enough .. perhaps .. a magnifying glass and have a look at the fob circuit board .. it might be a dry solder joint that resoldering might cure .

just look for solder with a pin in the center that seems separate from the solder around it .. this is a dry joint .. pin has broken away from the solder joint basically .
It's worth a good look as a new fob is over £200 .

I may be getting confused with a different car, but I thought the buttons can go dicky on these sometimes, and can be replaced by careful soldering? Sounds a possibility in this case?

deMort said:
Ok fair enough .. perhaps .. a magnifying glass and have a look at the fob circuit board .. it might be a dry solder joint that resoldering might cure .

just look for solder with a pin in the center that seems separate from the solder around it .. this is a dry joint .. pin has broken away from the solder joint basically .
It's worth a good look as a new fob is over £200 .
definately worth a look
cheers

Griffter said:
I may be getting confused with a different car, but I thought the buttons can go dicky on these sometimes, and can be replaced by careful soldering? Sounds a possibility in this case?
it can happen, I have replaced a few of the "micro switches" on various fobs over the years, not this time though. The red led flashes on every press but it seems no signal is being sent

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back