Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2005 987 Boxster S Roof wont operate

987m8hee

Hi All I am new to this so bear with me please. I have a 2005 987 Boxster S which I purchased less than a month ago. Went to put the hood down and heard a couple of bangs everything worked apart from the top folding. Tried a couple of times with no change. On investigation the plastic ball joints for the top lever were found broken. Wife had the car out a few days later in the rain, brought it home and lots of electrical things were happening lights switching on and alarm going off etc. After looking on a few forums I discovered the passenger floor carpet was soaked . Next day the battery was flat so I disconnected it and put on charge. Removed the passenger seat and used a wet vac to get most of water out and currently using a dehumidifier to dry it out. The ECU below the seat had been water damaged so I removed and cleaned with electrical cleaner and it looks fine but hard to tell if it is not fried. All put back together and everything is working as it should apart from the folding roof. I don't have any alarms on the dash but when I disengage the roof lock and operate the switch nothing happens. The windows don't drop and I can't hear anything trying to operate. I suppose it could be the relay but would both go at the same time ? Also I can't get the roof into the service position to try to fault find the leak or possible blocked drain. Any ideas please?

Yup .. not an uncommon fault i'm afraid .. the rear drain and usually the n/s/r in this country can block .. a leaf is common .. the result is the water overflows into the car .

Under the passenger seat is the rear end control unit .. this controls everything at the back end of the car including the roof i'm afraid .. when it gets wet it shorts out ..

You can dry it out and pray .. in my experience after replacing 30 plus of these then its usually damaged to an extent that some function will not work.

When it gets wet it operates the roof .. no safety function so it will drive the motors until they snap the roof rods .. the rod with a white plastic ball on it .

Solution in just about every case is replace the rear end control unit and both roof rods .

Circa £500 at a garage im afraid .. you need to have it coded and also clean out the drains so it doesn't happen again .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back