Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

im afraid of big bills

jimboger1

Trainee
been lurking around for some time, and still considering a 987 - mainly looking at a Cayman, but will consider a boxster as they are couple grand cheaper  - considering a 2.7, maybe a 2.9 if i can stretch - although i would consider an S that's been pampered 

had an air cooled 911 before and a 996 which was pretty much faultless, bar brake pipes needing done

circumstances have changed now (couple of kids etc), and don't have the same dispensable income as i did back then - so the thought of getting a high bill kind of scares me

i have a brilliant indy close by and i'm aware of the general servicing costs, and can handle that without a major drama, but i simply would struggle with an unexpected bill of like £1500/£2000 etc

i know the pitfalls of the potential things that can go wrong through age/mlg eg - front coolant pipes, discs & pads, water pump, oil separator, gear linkage cables

so question is - IF i could get a car that had been well looked after, (maybe even from a forum member), and the big money items had been done, how long would it be until they needed done again??

as i say, my 996 after 2 years, cost me peanuts to maintain, so ideally would love the same scenario

i am also aware BTW that a lot of people do tend to replace items that really do not need replaced

thanks in advance

jim 

I reckon that's an impossible question with all due respect.
I'd suggest setting yourself a budget, looking at the cars within that budget, whittling it down to the ones with the best service history and condition, then entering a service plan with your local indie.
Will it be a daily driver, weekend warrior, monthly moocher etc, long, short journeys, track? Tours. Motorways?
It's about minimising risk really, there's always a risk but if you research and ask loads of questions on here, you'll reduce that risk.
Some people put a little aside each month for exactly that reason too, so also worth considering.
This lot are awesome for knowledge and opinions!
Good luck!

Merry Christmas!

Stoddy. :thumbs:

thanks Stoddy
really a weekend car tbh - maybe 5k/6k per year tops
i get what you are saying though - do the checks, find a good one, and it may not be too bad
merry xmas
jim

Stoddy said:
I reckon that's an impossible question with all due respect.
I'd suggest setting yourself a budget, looking at the cars within that budget, whittling it down to the ones with the best service history and condition, then entering a service plan with your local indie.
Will it be a daily driver, weekend warrior, monthly moocher etc, long, short journeys, track? Tours. Motorways?
It's about minimising risk really, there's always a risk but if you research and ask loads of questions on here, you'll reduce that risk.
Some people put a little aside each month for exactly that reason too, so also worth considering.
This lot are awesome for knowledge and opinions!
Good luck!

Merry Christmas!

Stoddy. :thumbs:

I bought a Boxster off a member on here, it was a Cat S write off and when I got it home I realised it needed a lot more than the damage fixing.

I replaced the gearbox, clutch and when all that was out I did the IMS as well.

It wasn't cheap to do but I now have a car that is pretty well sorted and barring small items all the major components have been checked or replaced. Boxsters are pretty simple cars and replacement parts are available S/H or new, my gearbox only cost £250, I was also lucky to have a friend who did all the mechanical items for me for a reasonable price.

Most indies will do a PDi for a hundred quid or less, so get one of those done and see what bits your going to need. The only thing I would steer clear of is rusty cars as boxsters seem prone to rotting round the wings.

I now use my car daily and as it has a hard top is easy to live with this time of year.

thanks Glen, im thinking its all about getting the right car, and the bills can then be sensible hopefully
jim

easternjets said:
I bought a Boxster off a member on here, it was a Cat S write off and when I got it home I realised it needed a lot more than the damage fixing.

I replaced the gearbox, clutch and when all that was out I did the IMS as well.

It wasn't cheap to do but I now have a car that is pretty well sorted and barring small items all the major components have been checked or replaced. Boxsters are pretty simple cars and replacement parts are available S/H or new, my gearbox only cost £250, I was also lucky to have a friend who did all the mechanical items for me for a reasonable price.

Most indies will do a PDi for a hundred quid or less, so get one of those done and see what bits your going to need. The only thing I would steer clear of is rusty cars as boxsters seem prone to rotting round the wings.

I now use my car daily and as it has a hard top is easy to live with this time of year.

987 Boxster 2.7

I ran a 987 2.7 for 5 years between 3 and 8 years old. Apart from routine servicing which I did myself/brother all it needed was a suspension spring and a seal for the timing chain tensioner. A full set of filters was around £50 from Euro Car Parts. I traded the car in for a 993 and the dealer was unconcerned about self servicing as I provided parts receipts.
Now the bad news,I met the dealer 2 years later and he told me that the car had a corroded water pipe/clip and had dumped it's coolant on the motorway but had been out of warranty. I think there is quite a lot of luck when buying cars. My mate has an A4 avant and it has had turbo,dpf ,glow plugs etc etc and has been a total money pit! I tend to think Porsche probably aren't the best buy for those with little kids but I have got away with it so far so why don't you go for it! Get a good ppi done though and the best of luck!

Re: 987 Boxster 2.7

thanks a lot, appreciate the honest response
jim

stichill99 said:
I ran a 987 2.7 for 5 years between 3 and 8 years old. Apart from routine servicing which I did myself/brother all it needed was a suspension spring and a seal for the timing chain tensioner. A full set of filters was around £50 from Euro Car Parts. I traded the car in for a 993 and the dealer was unconcerned about self servicing as I provided parts receipts.
Now the bad news,I met the dealer 2 years later and he told me that the car had a corroded water pipe/clip and had dumped it's coolant on the motorway but had been out of warranty. I think there is quite a lot of luck when buying cars. My mate has an A4 avant and it has had turbo,dpf ,glow plugs etc etc and has been a total money pit! I tend to think Porsche probably aren't the best buy for those with little kids but I have got away with it so far so why don't you go for it! Get a good ppi done though and the best of luck!

To be honest, if big bills worry you, I'd steer clear of an old Porsche. A good one at PPI might inspire confidence. Come the first service under your ownership and it might throw up some extra work that will push your bill up.

Rarely is it one thing. Anecdotally they come in pairs or triplets. One year you could face an MOT needing new discs and pads, new tyres and perhaps the brake pipes are shot and need doing or they find the rads and condensers need doing at service on top of the MOT work.

If a possible big bill is a deal breaker for you Jim, then, as above, maybe you should look for another make of sportscar, or go down to the lowest end of the Porsche offerings with a view that if it breaks then just scrap it or part it out to get some money back :grin:

I`ve been running a 2006 Boxster S 987.1 3.2 since 2014 currently on 62K, serviced by myself with top quality consumables and parts. big garage bills so far if not repaired by myself would have been : all new disks and pads £450 (£1000), waterpump £150 (£500), new battery £120 (£180), blown exhaust manifold/cat joint bolts which I paid my local garage £60 to fix on one side, then the other side blew also and I repaired myself.
This year I will have new cats to be fitted as one is below par and throws a check engine light every now and then probably £600, I have a slight weep from a coolant pipe at the front which will need new OEM pipes to be fitted when it gets worse probably £300, I need 2 new rear tyres as the ones on the car are over 6 years old, hard and about on the wear limit £300.

I drive the cars hard and she has done about 10 trackdays since 2017.

My 996 has been about the same cost since 2015.

Hope this gives you an idea of normal wear and tear that you can expect to be shelling out for :thumb:

But, if you get a catastrophic failure such as IMS or bore score then you are looking at £10,000 + to fix it properly :sad:

This is what I tell anyone that asks when they are thinking of buying an older used watercooled Porsche to leave them in no doubt at the prospect of a massive unexpected garage bill :thumb:

Just as an aside, my last 3 Mercedes daily drivers have dropped me with unexpected bills of around £1500 each over the same period of time :grin:

many thanks for the response - i may have been lulled into a false sense of security with my 996, as i had no big bills at all in 3 years

cheshire911 said:
To be honest, if big bills worry you, I'd steer clear of an old Porsche. A good one at PPI might inspire confidence. Come the first service under your ownership and it might throw up some extra work that will push your bill up.

Rarely is it one thing. Anecdotally they come in pairs or triplets. One year you could face an MOT needing new discs and pads, new tyres and perhaps the brake pipes are shot and need doing or they find the rads and condensers need doing at service on top of the MOT work.

thanks Kris, this is exactly the info that is helping me make the decision
however, even the bills you talk about (the ones in brackets) - that equates to c£500/year, which is manageable for me
although i do think some of your estimates for fitting are quite high - my indy charges £60 per hour, so for brakes he charges c£600 with parts & labour & vat and charges £300 for a water pump fitted
although i certainly could not handle a £10k engine build
either way this is GREAT info and thanks again for the help
jim

kurlykris said:
If a possible big bill is a deal breaker for you Jim, then, as above, maybe you should look for another make of sportscar, or go down to the lowest end of the Porsche offerings with a view that if it breaks then just scrap it or part it out to get some money back :grin:

I`ve been running a 2006 Boxster S 987.1 3.2 since 2014 currently on 62K, serviced by myself with top quality consumables and parts. big garage bills so far if not repaired by myself would have been : all new disks and pads £450 (£1000), waterpump £150 (£500), new battery £120 (£180), blown exhaust manifold/cat joint bolts which I paid my local garage £60 to fix on one side, then the other side blew also and I repaired myself.
This year I will have new cats to be fitted as one is below par and throws a check engine light every now and then probably £600, I have a slight weep from a coolant pipe at the front which will need new OEM pipes to be fitted when it gets worse probably £300, I need 2 new rear tyres as the ones on the car are over 6 years old, hard and about on the wear limit £300.

I drive the cars hard and she has done about 10 trackdays since 2017.

My 996 has been about the same cost since 2015.

Hope this gives you an idea of normal wear and tear that you can expect to be shelling out for :thumb:

But, if you get a catastrophic failure such as IMS or bore score then you are looking at £10,000 + to fix it properly :sad:

This is what I tell anyone that asks when they are thinking of buying an older used watercooled Porsche to leave them in no doubt at the prospect of a massive unexpected garage bill :thumb:

Just as an aside, my last 3 Mercedes daily drivers have dropped me with unexpected bills of around £1500 each over the same period of time :grin:

Boxsters, even the 3.4, don't bore score like the Cayman. I'd look for a later 987 with good history.

I'd say wait a few years. The fear of a bill will always be at the back of your mind.
It will spoil the enjoyment of the car. You can have almost as much fun in something else.

Porsche's are great but you don't want to be living in fear.

Having said all that if it's a weekend car and it breaks you could always just leave it in the garage and sort it gradually. Not a great ownership experience though, having workmates or family asking 'How's the car going?" And you having to say 'Oh it's bust. It'll be fixed in 3 or 4 years time". :grin:

thanks Marky, im sure if i buy wisely, i can handle it - also, could consider a warranty
i did consider looking at an MX5, but the wife says 'only women or dicks drive MX5's" - lol

Marky911 said:
I'd say wait a few years. The fear of a bill will always be at the back of your mind.
It will spoil the enjoyment of the car. You can have almost as much fun in something else.

Porsche's are great but you don't want to be living in fear.

Having said all that if it's a weekend car and it breaks you could always just leave it in the garage and sort it gradually. Not a great ownership experience though, having workmates or family asking 'How's the car going?" And you having to say 'Oh it's bust. It'll be fixed in 3 or 4 years time". :grin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back