Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Well today things really happened in threes!

jhrfc

1) Firstly driving the 997 out of the health club, and suddenly a horrible metal scraping and scratching sound from the front nearside.
Stopped and looked and could see nothing hanging from the car or loose.
The car also seemed to have normal steering brakes etc.
Drove v slowly and noisily the 4 miles to RSJ, who where great.
They got the car on the ramp and 10 seconds later a 1cm diameter piece of gravel removed from the behind the brake disc backing plate.
drove the car home parked up when :

2) Went to close the driver window which moved a fraction and then stopped about 4" open, and wouldn't budge.
Straight back to RSJ, who again where great, quickly diagnosing a broken window regulator. Problem being, how to get a new one at lunchtime the day before christmas eve when they'd had their daily daily delivery.
Quick call revealed nearby Porsche Reading had one in the warehouse i could collect. So I left the 997 at RSJ and headed off to Porsche Reading in the 993 when :

3) Driving the 993 over, first the big warning light comes on, then the full Christmas tree, and very quickly total loss off power. I managed to get off the road and tried stopping & re-starting, starter cranks, but nothing else.
Something stirs in my memory, and I think 'Could it be the DME, and is that why I took people's advice and have been carrying a spare for over two years?'
Answer : Yup!
Fitted the spare, engine started immediately, I had a strange tiptronic light at first that i'd never even seen before. I shut down the engine a restarted and it went away.
moral of the story :
YES YOU SHOULD CARRY A SPARE DME!
already ordered a new spare!

Made it to Porsche to pick up the regulator, then back to RSJ, and I now have both cars back home and fully working again, but if you told me of the sort of day i was going to have, I'd have stayed in bed!
J

Sounds like good fortune comes in threes as well.

Whenever you get a rotational grinding noise from the front, it is always worth reversing and then gently applying the brakes. Usually works to remove lose gravel that has got stuck.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back