Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Winter tyres tested

Matrixxxx

Trainee
Spent a couple of days up in the Lake district , woke up to snow and ice :D

I've got 19" Pirelli scorpions on (snow and ice), they performed very well I managed to get up a very steep slushy hill that a Merc GL couldn't get up ,

On route to Buttermere, on empty snow cover roads it was doing well until a slight incline with fresh snow and ice underneath , even in low ratio and long lock it couldn't get grip. but as the tyres only have under 5mm of tread it could be why , it seems they need a minimum of 7mm to work properly in snow!

I am still surprised at how well it handles round tight twisty bends, it beats most saloon sports cars I have had, it's almost to easy, you have to hold it back, to avoid going round a corner to fast.

it may have been the ice ?

also the ability range between the major tyre brands can be quite large, so might depends on what generation of Pirelli you have.

Run Michelin Alpin tyres in the past with good success

Just out of interest (maybe I'm a tyre nerd?), which type of Pirelli Scorpion are you running? All Seasons, Verde? You should have been able to make it up an incline on winters. :dont know:

They were the "snow and ice tyre", with n rating. a few years old.

they got up a snowy /slushy hill that was very steep but near Newlands pass you could see several other vehicles had failed to get up. the GTS would just slide back down the slope so I guess there was a layer of ice under the fresh snow.

you would need studs or some all terrains to get any further.

Thanks for the responses. I was just wondering which exact tyres, as we have some Scorpions on the Land Rover (OE) and while they had the M+S markings they were awful in snow (have youy ever been powersliding in a Discovery?). Basically just 'all seasons'.

duplicate post

Winter tyres on.

Attachments

• 63c00dc4_742a_4960_a2d8_6aa45639981f_822.jpeg
    63c00dc4_742a_4960_a2d8_6aa45639981f_822.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 3,118
Point to note:
they are terrible on roundabouts, not sure if it is the tyre compound or the compound reacting to oil/diesel on the roundabouts, but have experienced quite a few brown trouser moments recently. :eek:

I have been running Michelin Cross Climates for the past year. They are not MO rated but grip well in all conditions and are wearing well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back