Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dangerous question....

Kingb4

Montreal
Realise I am probably tempting fate (I know the score regarding this bit of the forum :gunfire: ).....
However, am thinking BUYING (not Selling at a ludicrous price) a private plate. Not had one before.

Have seen a few that are along the lines of V8ENK (my name is Ben surname starts with K - so with dodgy spacing (another contentious subject) it could be 'V 8EN K' - can be had for c£500. Or something like "E1 BTK" - can be had for c£400 (my initials are BTK)

Wanted to get peoples thoughts. Asked my wife, who thought it was all a complete waste of money, so couldnt give a view on what plate was better. But she also doesnt understand the whole car thing - but goes along with it, if it keeps me happy.

Misspaced ones look really naff IMO, so I would go for your initials.

MC

My opinion - initials are a waste of time, nobody gets it. Don't bother either doing spacing as it looks naff most of the time. A name is the way to go but only if its quite obvious.

991.2GTS said:
BTK? Didn't you watch mindhunter?

That'd be like going after a plate like this :floor:

:floor: :thumb:

I'm likeminded with your thinking. I'd love a private plate but can't warrant spending big money on it. I hear what you're saying on misplacing but I'm very tempted by P9 HNH, with a simple screw becomes P911 NH .... :?:

Lots of food for thought.

I really appreciate people taking the time to share ideas....clearly no consensus, but thats what makes life fun.

I agree that if I buy a plate, I would intend to keep it, so its worth getting the right one.....however am also tight :) So I guess its about striking the right balance. Ideally I would love '1 BEN' - think I will keep looking for a bargain on ebay.... and pass on both the plates I have found so far.

I did try to convince myself the plate would be an investment - I think it would have some truth if I get an obvious 'Ben' plate - less so with a BTK plate, as the market is much smaller.....even more so, having looked up the 'mindhunter' reference :yuk: (I hadnt watched that!)

I bought P911 ***, where *** are my initials.

You ask DVLA to sell it to you. You email them and they will put it into an online auction.

Unlike me, you will NOT bid on it until a few days before the auction closes. You should get it for about £350-400 all in.

If you bid early (as I did), it is my impression that there are companies who look out for this and try to outbid you. My number got bid up to £500 but a very similar number with no early bids did not get bid upon at all.

You obviously need to get a plate that is older than the car.

Good luck.

Rich

I would keep an eye on the DVLA website as they continue to release small numbers of name plates (in order to keep the price up). I managed to get my plate B%% ANT for well under £1k, although that was a few years ago. I think you might well need to budget £1,500 - £2,000 for a 3 digit / number prefix.

BEN 2P is coming up for auction soon :thumb:

rickprice said:
I bought P911 ***, where *** are my initials.

You ask DVLA to sell it to you. You email them and they will put it into an online auction.

Unlike me, you will NOT bid on it until a few days before the auction closes. You should get it for about £350-400 all in.

If you bid early (as I did), it is my impression that there are companies who look out for this and try to outbid you. My number got bid up to £500 but a very similar number with no early bids did not get bid upon at all.

You obviously need to get a plate that is older than the car.

Good luck.

Rich

Great point Rich,

I 'applied" for my ideal about 18 months ago now and it still hasn't come to auction although after chasing the DVLA on this several times they say it is being processed. How long did it take for yours to become available?

Many thanks

NH

Constantly watching the DVLA website and searching for different things/ideas is deffo the way to go if you're serious. Sometimes you stumble across your nickname, surname or Christian name for £250.

I paid £250 for Al3XJY and wouldn't swap it for anything other than AlEXY (middle name is Jon by the way). There are bargains to be had that suit you, it's just a waiting game. :thumbs:

There's no B3N** available yet on DVLA but it soon will be, just keep an eye out.

Ben,

S27 UTD is up for sale pm if interested. Sure there's Ben in there somewhere :grin:

Yeah - Ben Thornley.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back