Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche: Customer Care?

robrac

Bit of a moan but I thought I would bounce this off the forum. Is it me?

I have an 06 997.1 and have decided to do a bore scope. I thought at first I had a cracked piston but it turned out to be a machining mark.
Anyway, long story short, despite it only being quite minor I have decided to go ahead with an IMS and a rebuild and its in at the moment.

Now bear in mind this a used car of 13 years, 85K but otherwise fine. You cant expect the world!!

I decided to speak to Porsche Customer Care to ask for some guidance and to enquire if there are any schemes, offers, vouchers, discounts for those effected by this issue.

Before really answering my question he pointed out that Porsche was under no obligation to help me, as the car was an older model.

I explained I understood that but it was simple enquiry relating to an issue during design and manufacture. I wasnt there shaking a stick, more asking advice. Was there such a thing?? A fair question I thought.
If not I suggested Porsche might extend me some discount, a voucher or just supply a part or two to help.

I was told they are under no obligation to help me.

I asked about the bore scoring,,,, he apparently had never heard of any problems with bore scoring as far as he knew. Was there anything else he could help me with?

Now we are entering a rather strange conversation now, a worrying attitude.

I explained that I found his comment a little sharp and dismissive when I was asking for ADVICE. I wasnt there to blame, to accuse, to demand rather to ask for assistance.

We are under no obli.......

I said look, apart from my issue, how do you think this sounds to a loyal customer? I have a owned 7 or 8 Porsches in my time, some new, some used. But I was a customer!

He knows nothing about me or my Company. I could fly down in the helicopter to discuss this if he liked. Our Company is responsible for approx 80 to 85 vehicle purchases in a year. To him I was just an annoying voice at the end of the phone.

Its not the outcome its more how I was treated. I honestly felt like a beggar and I should just eff off ....pleb.

Porsche should be very careful how they treat customers. I was disgusted.

:eh!: [/b]

If you're loaded enough to be able to charter helicopters then just chop the car in for a new one, seems mad to be messing around with a 13 year old car on 85k miles when you're in that financial league.

Robert SausageTrousers said:
If you're loaded enough to be able to charter helicopters then just chop the car in for a new one, seems mad to be messing around with a 13 year old car on 85k miles when you're in that financial league.

I can understand your comments but, people who have money remain people with money by not blowing it un-necessarily. I have older cars because they are the ones I want! Only the nouveau riche feel they have to flaunt it. Just my opinion you understand. Besides, the later ones IMHO are getting too big and I don't want a 4 pot, Porsches 'should" have a 6 pot.
:hand: :floor:

His customer service is not great, but you ended up in the same place if you'd got someone who was the world's best customer service person. Put it down to a one off, send the car to Hartech ASAP so it's ready for Spring. :thumb:

Customer Care

I think you missed my point there. I was just surprised at theiir attitude.

It doesnt really matter who a guy is or what they have (or havent) it just struck me as a bit sharp they should respond in that way.
I wasnt trying to make any other point than that .

The average guy in the street saves hard for these things and I think it was a legitimate question to ask if there were any offers, vouchers I didnt know about as it is plainly a fault. Porsche like to boast about their customer care, their engineering it just struck me as odd.

I was fortunate enough to retire at 42. I dont charter, its actually mine. I choose to"mess about" with engines from all periods. in this case a 13 year old car because it pleases me to own what I consider to be the real last 911 before it got a bit stodgy.

I was just surprised thats all.

Porsche are aware of it but they'll never admit it. Consumer law in the USA has helped some owners but from an EU/UK position we're not in a strong place. :roll:

Whilst OPC warranty is bulletproof I've not heard particulary good reports for customer car or 'porsche assist'

My wife informs me I 'retired' when we got married :what:

I can understand where you are coming from Robrac and why you feel disappointed in the response rather than the predictable outcome.

The fact that the responder intimated that they were unaware of this kind of issue possibly could be down to either lack of knowledge or they were fibbing!
Chances are the department and I'm only guessing here are staffed by youngsters unfamiliar with an engine issue from a decade plus ago. So if they
don't have an answer for it have to go with a scripted response rather than some sound advice with a touch of empathy perhaps. Could be just a cultural gap between a German company and say a British one, can't imagine the customer helpy department of Morgan giving you the same answer! Maybe a training shortfall?

Should we be surprised?

Porsche are no different to any other car manufacturer. Once you have bought the car and it's out of warranty you have little recourse should it fail - even if the issue is a known and serious one.

I guess we owners and fans are all a little blinded by the marque's reputation for all the good aspects of our cars but let's not forget they do have faults with the design and sometimes the application. Websites such as this attest to that fact. Their dealers, generally, are no different.

Unfortunately, buying cars unlike shoes, for example, appears to have a different set of rules where consumers are concerned. Shouldn't have but most often do.

I'm reminded of the story an Indie told me of an owner who had the temerity to query a charge on his Bill at an OPC. The response, politely, was that "perhaps a Porsche is not the best suited car for sir", or words to that effect.

Agreed, pretty cr4p.

That said, the Lamborghini Miura was born out of Ferrucio Lamborghini's disgust at Enzo Ferrari's response to a complaint, so nothing new!

If you want proper service and advice, speak with a respected independent mechanic.

Anyway, what helicopter have you got?
:useless:

First off can i just say .. you don't need a rebuild , you don't have bore score but having read your thread i can understand you are an enthusiast and as such you want it done regardless so hats off there .

I wish that some of the people i've seen that have had borescore news and are now crying in reception were as fortunate .

The comments you recieved .. No that's not a good example and i expect Porsche themselves would not be that happy .. that's not the attitude they want to portray as being " Customer Service " .

my thoughts ..

CS deals with problems .. no one phones them up to say they are happy ..

He realised at the beginning there was nothing he could do to help , he's not an Ex mechanic .. he probably doesn't know the product that well and is working more from a script as most of these centers are .. min wage i also expect .

Porsche gets what it pays for as does any company .. this is not exactly a comment that couldn,t be aimed at many different companies .

I will bet my last " dollar " that if you phoned again you would get someone else that would be more sympathetic but again explain they can't do anything to help you .

Advise comes more from forums such as this or Indys and sometimes OPC as well .. shame but true .

CS is more designed to help out people that are just out of warranty im afraid .

Porsche also Can't acknowledge there is a set fault with any of their model range .. it would open the floodgates .. he may well be aware of this issue .. but he can't say anything ..

Bore score and IMS are the two words Porsche want to walk away from .

Take from this that the CS rep had no idea how Rich you are or might be and how many cars you might own or what difference it could make to Porsche ..

He treats everyone the same .

He got stuck on .. we can't help you .. i have 5 calls waiting .. i have no knowledge of this fault .. "yeah right " .. so i need to move on .

Its not right , he needs more training but this is common place these days ...

Employ someone that knows the product and they can be of more assistance .. lets face it .. one less sale because of things like this is ... One Less Sale !!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back